Smaller hackle wet flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Smaller hackle wet flies

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 am

Tim, mums the word. I still don't keep all of my rods in the same place. It confuses her or at least doesn't set off alarms. Have a great trip.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote:
letumgo wrote:I can vouch for the effectiveness of size 6 wet flies. When I started out fishing soft hackles, I often tyed size 6 and size 4 hooks. They caught lots of fish...
And then what happened?
Good question!

dd
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:34 am

Someone whispered "wee wets" in his ear and he's never been the same.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:40 am

For small wets, hen is still my favorite. Come to think of it, for 90% of my wets, hen is my favorite.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:46 am

Wayne - What material did you use for the rib? Is it colored mono? It looks to translucent to be wire. Excellent flies, by the way.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 am

letumgo wrote:Wayne - What material did you use for the rib? Is it colored mono? It looks to translucent to be wire. Excellent flies, by the way.
You have to guess what finger I am holding up before I tell you the materials.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:56 am

:shock: :o :) :D :lol:

I was guessing it was your big toe. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:32 am

Ray, Red Lagurtan wire.

Not my big toe. ;)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:41 pm

I recognize that fingerprint from a post office flyer. I'm calling the FBI. Oh...wait, no cell service here. Guess your safe.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:I recognize that fingerprint from a post office flyer. I'm calling the FBI. Oh...wait, no cell service here. Guess your safe.
You can tell it isn't my print, it isn't stained with gorilla glue. :lol: Or have chunks of it missing, which is a too often painful recurrence in my trade. :oops: :cry:

Been some interesting comments on this thread. I am guessing bigger hooks is not the answer owing to the rods of choice being on the lighter scale. In my own experience fish size does not factor in a lot over here, many a 24" plus will not move off station for anything over a #16 at times and seldom look at a #6 unless it is a baitfish imitation and he or she is feeling particularly aggressive.
I do not get a lot of choice in hen hackle here, hardly any of the local stores stock them and look at you strangely if you ask for them. So I have to order online or harvest them myself, colour and quality are a big risk if I order online and I get what I get, making use of what I can when they arrive. If you can find someone that keeps a few hens for meat and egg production, make them your friend. Capes and saddles from farm yard stock can be a bit of a lottery, but often the price is right. Often overlooked and often discarded are the wings of said hens, both upper and lower covert feathers on the wings can yield some fine hackles, often they have a curved face that allows you to dictate where the best length is for a certain size of hook.
Then you have to ask the question, are they fishing flies or display flies? Often we are coerced by what we see others tie or what we read in publication as to the "ideal" hackle length and if you look in a lot of especially British older tying manuals you will often find colour prints showing long full hackles, almost contradicting the style of hackle we try to aim for. I am guessing these larger hackled flies still caught their share of fish and trout have not evolved that much further...... have they? Maybe in high pressure waters where trout see a LOT of imitations it might make a difference, but I would tie a few with your bigger feathers and see if there is a huge difference in takes with either style.
The other option is to trim the hackle with scissors before you wrap. Blasphemy I know! But it is actually recommended in some tying books of old. If you are dealing with feathers that have soft barbs from the tip to the stem it might be worth a shot and help you use some of the left overs.
Or you could "pinch" the hackle barbs to length after the fly is tied.

There are a lot of tricks and ways of wrapping stripped barbs to form a "correct" hackle length from a "too big" feather. I have searched out and tried a lot of them, owing to the quantity of low quality feathers I have in stock and cannot bring myself to cull out, they work, but given the option I still prefer to wrap the stem in the good old fashioned way!
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.