Hook Organization

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Dwclapp

Hook Organization

Post by Dwclapp » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00 am

I'm sure some of you do the same thing, but my epiphany moment came this morning while sitting at my tying desk with Wagner's "Die Walkure" playing loudly. I began looking at my small box of hooks and figured there had to be a better way of figuring out what I had and what I was out of. I have tried hook boxes but they get mixed up and have to be re-labeled etc. After a bit of searching, I came across some business card holders that fit in a 3-ring binder. Huh, the Umpqua and TMC hook baggies fit in there perfectly.

Oh... in my sons room there are some baseball card sheets for the 3 ring binder as well. Daiichi and Gamaktsu packs fit in those perfectly...

Hey I have a hook organization system that may work for a large % of my hooks... Now what to do with the Dai-Riki hooks boxes....

Darin
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Hook Organization

Post by letumgo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:31 am

Great tip, Darin. I will be adding a few of these sheets to my 3-ring organizer. Thanks for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

Nice idea for those that buy small packs. I try to buy my hooks in 100 packs. I prefer the old TMC hook files. I buy them whenever I run across them.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
paparex

Post by paparex » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:01 pm

I, too, buy in 100 pcs allotments. I repackage the 100 pcs in zip lock bags the same size as the Tiemco-25 and print the Hook Type, size, length etc on a paper I slip into the bag. (Yes, I buy non-Tiemco, Umqua, Dai-Riki, Daiichi hooks too. My favorite supplier is http://www.flydesk.com). The baseball cards/business card idea is a great one. I'm off to Office Max now.

Rex
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Wagner has inspired some grand ideas and highlighted some brilliant moments, but this...this is great. Nice idea.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tjd

Post by tjd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Wagner...Apocolypse Now/The Heart of Darkness...The quote "The horror of it" sums up my unorganized approach to hook organization. The best I ever seem to do is a large zip lock bag of a hook type inside a large plastic Rubbermaid tote. Playing "Where's Waldo" with a specific hook style starts nearly all o my tying sessions!

Great ideas, very useful.

Tim
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Looks like a good system. I have been thinking about doing something similar with my dubbing packages. I have a ton already and apparently I have an insatiable appetite for more. ;) I am also a hookaholic, but my system for those is at least manageable. Thanks for sharing. :)
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Damn!!
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Dwclapp, Howdy;

Way to OCD for me ... I'm much closer tjd's method.
Excellent idea though, maybe some day .....

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:39 pm

I like this method a lot. See everything at a glance.
When Misa gave a tying demo at the museum in Livingston Manor over Memorial Day, her hook organization method caught my eye.