Madison River Hatches - Mid to Late June

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Eric Peper

Re: Madison River Hatches - Mid to Late June

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Just checked this thread -- the list I posted and which is copied above is the list of bugs I see and flies I use on the Henry's Fork at that time of year -- not the Madison. The top water (and I refer here to the upper 6 inches or so) fishing starts a tad earlier on the Henry's Fork.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:08 pm

gingerdun wrote:
fly_fischa wrote:Let me see,
Wet bait, wet basil, winged beauty, winged baboon, wet bat, wardens bomber, this is harder than I thought, Woolly !!!

Bugger :oops: , I think I just realised the fly your'e referring to. Sorry for swearing

K ;)
:o You deciphered my code, pal. Warden's Bomber it is.
While risking being banned from the forum, I may post the pattern later this fall. :twisted:

Your friend,
Woolly

gingerdun- I have a proposition and possible solution to our WB dilemma. Wouldn't it be looked upon as rude and inconsiderate not to swim a fly tied for you by a friend? Just so happens that I'm going to gift some of these FB's to you my friend (FB=fuzzle buggers, slight variation on the WB), needless to say that I personally wouldn't fish them. I have it on authority that they work, I forced Ray's hand a while back by sending him a bunch. Although not necessary, I guess I couldn't say no to some Wool oops! I meant Wardens Bombers in return. ;) Think on it Lance and send me an email regarding quantities, sizes and colours when you're ready. 8-)

FB-Olive-Ping by fly_fischa, on Flickr

FB-Olive by fly_fischa, on Flickr

FB-Black by fly_fischa, on Flickr
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Karsten - I've had some amazing days, with the help of the fuzzle buggers you sent over. They look even better when wet.

Lance - Go for it. These dogs hunt! :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Christmas already? :o
Those FB's are gorgeous flies, and look similar to what I saw one of our heroes use on the Madison in pursuit of the bigger browns at dusk. But these are fuzzier than any that I've seen.
I would also use them on my local bass water where I go canoeing.
I need to get ready with some Warden's Bombers now, and figure out what one might consist of, and perhaps do some field trials.
I'll send you a PM. If we carry on like this in public much longer, we might get banned for corrupting William's perfectly respectable post.
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 pm

I'll send you a PM. If we carry on like this in public much longer, we might get banned for corrupting William's perfectly respectable post.
You obviously haven't heard of the secret compartment in Will's fly box! :o ;)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Karsten you're not wrong about the secret compartments. I have a few.
Lance, I'm sure there is lots of time to see have many variations of Western March Browns we can manage and at every stage or arguments over the best PMD dubbing blends for flymphs...but if Warden Bombers and FB's put us into fishing at opportune times, make them purple and post them proudly. =)

I do want to even separate the Henrys Fork list and the Madison list, pull out all the stops, then narrow it down to something manageable. But we've got time and a swap our two to make this really interesting.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:39 am

“Tungsten Deathmetal nymphs” and “BATMAN nymphs”...now those were super cool flies. I also liked the flies that looked like the DDH Leech. Great stuff for sure.
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Well, here's one to bump the thread to a more current level. This has been my "go-to" Madison River fly for almost 40 years. I first tied it in a motel room in Provo, Utah, in 1976 before my inaugural trip to the Yellowstone area. Except for a few minor tweaks, it is now as it was then. I won't even begin to estimate how many fish this has accounted for from coast to coast. Works as well for a hellgrammite imitation as it does for stonefly nymph.

Picture by Peter Frailey

HooK: #4 Mustad 79580, bent slightly at the mid-point
Thread: Black Monocord
Tail: Black goose biots
Underbody: Lead wire, about .025
Body: "Highly refined":-) black wool yarn, double layer
Rib: Medium oval gold tinsel
Hackle: Black hen hackle feather

BTW, I don't fish this one with bamboo. With that lead underbody, it's like casting (in a manner of speaking) a 180 grain bullet.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:24 am

Eric, I use to use this pattern in the early 90's in sizes no bigger than 8. For the life of me, I do not know why I stopped.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Very cool pattern!