Washing feathers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Izaak

Washing feathers

Post by Izaak » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Some of the feathers on one of the hen capes I got feel like they got some chicken fat on them and they feel and look a little greasy. Can I wash them to remove the greasiness? If so, what is the best way to do it? Thanks!

Tom
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Washing feathers

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Yes. I would recommend washing them in Woolite or Dawn dish washing liquid, and then thoroughly drying the cape with a hair drier. You will need to make sure that the skin is bone dry before placing it back into a plastic bag. If there is any moisture, the cape will likely mildew or rot. If you can leave it out over night, lay it on a couple layers of news paper and let it air dry. This time of year, the relative humidity is fairly low (northern climate anyways), so it should dry well.

If you have pets, be careful not to leave it where they would be tempted to play with it (or eat it).

Good luck.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:09 pm

How greasy?
I am not a fan of wet washing feathers, mainly because I am inpatient when it comes to the drying and you have to be thorough before placing any cape in a plastic bag/container.
You could try rubbing powdered Borax through the cape and let is dry wash/absorb any grease.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks guys! I'll let you know what I do and how it turns out. I might just clean feathers as needed. The area is fairly small and right along one edge of the cape. I could just pick out a few feathers, give them a quick wash and dry, and be good to go.

Tom
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 am

What Ray said. Dawn works absolutely fine for this situation, tried and tested. Just don't use really hot water.