Hackles .... say "When!"

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Re: Hackles .... say "When!"

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 am

*chuckle*

I can relate to most, if not all, of the tales and experiences above.
These days I apply the number of turns until the pattern tells me to stop. I listen, and tie off. A bit like this thread's subject line 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:23 am

And I thought I was alone.... Wow!
It seems my story starts off much like some have said... But there was a time where I started sneaking in extra hackle. It wasn't like just adding a rap.... no.. I got creative... I started rapping the traditional 1 1/2 to 2 raps, with a properly sized feather.... then when no one was looking, I would slip out another feather about 1/2 the standard and add these extra, shorted barbs, deep down between the others.
When questioned about this tendency, ( :oops: yes, I got caught...) I made up stories... telling people that these were my secret flies to be used in that extra fast wasters... and to save face... I started fishing harder waters... the real fast stuff where most never go... I took on extra weight just to hold my ground out there... even added longer spikes in my boots to dig in a bit more.... Its taken on a whole way of life, trying to justify my affections for them bushy little flies.
:shock: Sob.... Why do I feel so alone out there? No one follows me out into the river any more...
FliTrap
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 am

Gotta say I never understood the oft quoted 1 1/2 turns of hackle. On a sparse hackled pattern that spells off kilter barb distribution to me 8-)
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:27 am

Thus the beginning of over hackling...the act of rethinking, instead of following direction. Though, I see your reasoning and raise to logic....
FliTrap
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:33 am

Kirk said - "I still have feather left. I can get another turn out of it."
That's the problem here; I'm THRIFTY (cheap). I feel like I paid for that feather, by golly, I'm gonna get the most out of it!
I know, I know, the tying directions lots of times call for 1 1/2-2 turns. But that just seems a waste to me. After 1 1/2 turns, I've still got most of the feather begging to be made useful, and have a hard time denying it. I try, but the Heavy Hand usually wins in the end. :oops:
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:58 am

I am sure you can have too much hackle. I am not sure you can have too little.

I think I may have posted this photo before (and in the same context), but this fly was still catching fish.

narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:00 am

As I referenced in another thread, Fogg states that he likes a thinly wrapped hackle on his spiders. One to one and a half turns with the hackle standing up not slanted back. the theory he states is that he hackle should represent both wings and legs. To further achieve this he also advocates putting a bump of material behind the hackle to further help it stand up and not fold back around the hook.

For me I like two turns or as others stated what the fly tells me to do. That's on spiders. On flymph's it's usually three to four wraps.

I also have a box full of hackle tips that, for me very hard to discard.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:15 am

CM_Stewart wrote:I am sure you can have too much hackle. I am not sure you can have too little.

I think I may have posted this photo before (and in the same context), but this fly was still catching fish.

Would you tie a dozen up exactly as the pattern in the picture, and fish them with confidence?
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:28 am

I doubt I would tie them quite that sparse, but I would certainly fish them with confidence.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:35 am

CM_Stewart wrote:I doubt I would tie them quite that sparse, but I would certainly fish them with confidence.

That works then :-)