Hackles .... say "When!"

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Hackles .... say "When!"

Post by daringduffer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I'm a hackle lover. I like them long, I like them short, I like them sparse and I like them full. Whatever the result I find some use for the flies. Too much to me might be just enough for my friend.
I used to have the best part of the feather left when I had run out of hook. Now i strip off a lot more barbs before tying in. It's easier to get good result that way.
It's sheer pleasure to mix hackles of different shades. Sometimes the result is soo buggy that the fish looses count of number of wraps...
As always, my aim with every fly is to be pleased.

dd
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:22 am

Hans Weilenmann wrote:Gotta say I never understood the oft quoted 1 1/2 turns of hackle. On a sparse hackled pattern that spells off kilter barb distribution to me 8-)
To me it also seems counter instinctive. To put 1/2 a turn on means I'd have to tie off in the opposite position -180* if you will - that one naturally would....
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:29 am

chase creek wrote:Kirk said - "I still have feather left. I can get another turn out of it."
That's the problem here; I'm THRIFTY (cheap). I feel like I paid for that feather, by golly, I'm gonna get the most out of it!
I know, I know, the tying directions lots of times call for 1 1/2-2 turns. But that just seems a waste to me. After 1 1/2 turns, I've still got most of the feather begging to be made useful, and have a hard time denying it. I try, but the Heavy Hand usually wins in the end. :oops:

:lol: I can relate to this.... that's why I've also got a few bags of hackle stubs that I might use one day....

I have found uses for them now and again but not nearly as much as I imagine.
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:08 pm

I also keep the "fluffy" butt-end of the feathers if I tie in by the tip. At least until I get over run by them. Then it's wholesale house cleaning. And start all over the next time I tie in by the tip...
I ain't cheap, I'm thrifty. :oops:

Kirk "Waste not, want not" Barnes