Hen Hackles and their fishability

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Hen Hackles and their fishability

Post by letumgo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:57 pm

When I visited Tim Didas's house earlier this year, he showed me the framed set of flies from that swap. Fantastic seeing such a collectors set first hand.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Yep... Doing time in the corner for becoming hyper in my earlier posting! Sorry for disrupting the flow of things, thinking i knew so much by posting reference to the "wrong" flies. (Though the ones I pointed at have always had my attention!)
I'll try harder to read the topic more closely!
And thank you, to those that posted in reference to the right flies!
Peace out!
FliTrap
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:38 pm

FliTrap, Howdy;

If you were the first to 'wander around' in the middle of a thread it would make headlines...
Sometimes a wee drift off the topic only goes to refocus the subject and gives the folks that
have just made a lengthy post the extra time needed to allow their fingers time to re-hab.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 pm

LOL I was just getting a bet focused.... thanks for your response but don't go letting the cage door opened!
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I escaped a long time ago. :D

FliTrap - Thanks for posting the link to my POP Fly, and recipe. That reminds me, one of these days I need to make a photo tutorial.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Was always impressed with the "fineness" of that fly! LOL that's why I was so excited when he made not of a "Pop" fly... now realizing it was the Pop-Top Flies he noted.... Both are great examples of great tying...
Thanks!
FliTrap
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:24 pm

:D :D :D

Imagine a group of fly-fisherman/tiers sitting around a table. A couple of us have had too much to drink, a couple of others seem to love the sound of their own voices, others show signs of either wisdom or fatigue - or are faking either or both, and we all have varied experiences and are happy to share, add to the conversation and generally be good company. That's what these posts are like for me at times. If they stray...they stray. We try to stay on target, and we try to remain focused and accurate, but we are only here enjoying each other's input and rarely is there any harm done. It's incredible what can be learned in the confines of these excellent conversations. As I said when Stefan posted the link to the first IBF swap, there were some very gracious people who let me sit at the table and pester with questions. It's fun.

It seems I should have jumped back into the thread sooner to make that point. I'm not quite to the task at the moment. I'll keep trying, and I'm hoping there is room for a little leeway.

Tom, I'm hoping you can add your reactions and insight regarding the responses to your questions. Thanks for prompting us with such a loaded thread.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:29 pm

William Anderson wrote::D :D :D

That's what these posts are like for me at times. If they stray...they stray. We try to stay on target, and we try to remain focused and accurate, but we are only here enjoying a each other's input and rarely is there any harm done. It's incredible what can be learned in the confines of these excellent conversations.

w
Agree. This is neither science nor debate - even if both are allowed...

dd
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Surly not to deviate from the issues of feathers, and hen, specifically but may I add a thought... In teaching at a local fly show, I have be privileged to be handed many a pac of this or that.... something thought by another in his venture to "make a buck"... "stuff" packaged with a label in reference to tying materials.
The challenge has always been the same:
"Here, figure out a fly that we can show to convince shoppers that they need to buy this stuff".
With the minds of the many here and so many other BB sites, I have created so many patterns... or as we know, variations of patterns (there are few new...LOL)....
In tying this way, my "style" if you will, as come to a point of "artful salesmen-ship" in that its to sell the products!
When I touch, feel, even smell, a product... its a free style effort....and assess where or how it will work into a fly. And even if I have never yet gotten the fly wet.... I can "feel" how I would present it, again with "variation" to all I have tried!
If there was ever a greater feeling of catching a fish on"my fly", its hearing how someone took my "trial ties" to a river, applied what I suggested, as best they recall, mingled with their own "twists" and then had a great day!......
While the fly... and the materials hold heavy influence to their success, it is but a small part, well behind the confidence that the person took with them, simply because I said this is a "hot fly.... you need to try these... I'm tying another Doz. for my box....".

I see each feather in the same way as any other material... it too can be the next great fly... lets tie on one!
I came back here, for exactly for the reason, so well stated:
daringduffer wrote:It's incredible what can be learned in the confines of these excellent conversations.

Now scoot over... lets get back to feathers.... and pass the thread...
FliTrap