dubbing block bodies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: dubbing block bodies

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:31 pm

Bob - I do not think the direction of twist matters, since the strand of thread is folded back on itself. In other words, each half of the strand will naturally have an opposing twist, no matter if it is silk or thread.

An easy way to picture it is to take your right hand an make a fist with a thumbs-up gesture. Imagine the thumb is the strand of thread, and your curled fingers represent the direction of the twist. Notice the fingers are curled counter clockwise. Now point your thumb down, and notice the fingers are now curving clockwise.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:43 pm

letumgo wrote:Bob - I do not think the direction of twist matters, since the strand of thread is folded back on itself. In other words, each half of the strand will naturally have an opposing twist, no matter if it is silk or thread.
Good point.

However, as I sit here and play some Orvis 8/0 which happened to be sitting next to my computer, it seems to have much more of tendency to unwind if I twist it it widdershins than if I twist it clockwise. (Looking at it from the loop end.) I haven't tried it with any other thread yet, nor with any dubbing actually in place. It may just be that I'm better at twisting it clockwise.

Or it could be confirmation bias.
Bob
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:18 am

Ray, Howdy;

IMO the best way to 'see' what is happening would be to use a
piece of twisted rope. Then the twists will be large enough to
actually see what the mechanics are.

hank

PS. Here's a PDF about making rope (just supersized thread),
may give some insights ... http://www.the-ropewalk.co.uk/ks2th2.pdf

Lance, Howdy; Next time you are near Mystic, Ct. stop by and check out their Ropewalk.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 pm

I think the biggest consideration with the twisting of the thread concerns what direction you twist when you build the dubbing strand. If you twist the thread clockwise on the block, it has a tendency to untwist or loosen when you wrap it on the hook because you have stabilized one end and the circular twisting of your hand in the wrapping motion will tend to unwrap the thread. If you twist the thread in a counter-clockwise direction on the block the strand will have a tendency to actually tighten when you wrap it around the hook shank. This happens on a minor scale with Pearsall's because of the direction of twist. If you switch hands when you wrap around the shank it will help to stop the untwist but will still give a little slack to the twist. I always twist counter clockwise whether building from a dubbing loop or on the block. Also, I will add that I think many people put too much twist to the thread when they build the dubbing strands. This does not necessarily have a big effect on the strand but even a slight over twisting will cause the strand to untwist a bit when it is removed from the card and lead you to think that the strand is not holding the twist when in reality you have just over twisted the thread and it is finding a stable balance.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Old Hat wrote:I think the biggest consideration with the twisting of the thread concerns what direction you twist when you build the dubbing strand. If you twist the thread clockwise on the block, it has a tendency to untwist or loosen when you wrap it on the hook because you have stabilized one end and the circular twisting of your hand in the wrapping motion will tend to unwrap the thread. .
I always twist my brushes clockwise and ty the opposite point on the hook, opposite from the point where I make the twist. In this way I do not unwrap the thread. I mostly use a kind of copper-wire to make my brushes. If I use silk for the core I twist the brush after each wrap with my fingers.

BTW Carl I ordered braided nylon from sportfish (sheakespeare) but it is not good to use for leaders.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 pm

I don't think you would have any problem with wire anyway as it holds the twist very well, Ruard.

It's not really a problem, as you said you can twist as you wrap to compensate. It is just one more of those little considerations to be added to the pot.

Good to know about the sportfish, thanks.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com