Black Caddis Patterns?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

swellcat

Black Caddis Patterns?

Post by swellcat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Looking through a good many search results here didn't seem to pull up anything relevant.

Are there good generalist/impressionist patterns you like for black caddis, especially that might cover more than one life stage? I can't specify the species, so do I need to be tying up creams, greens, browns, and blacks? (Reference: http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/entomol ... nnom.shtml , but that's Pacific US, not Oklahoma.)

Lower Mountain Fork - Rob Woodruff Report - Orvis
_____
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
swellcat

Re: Black Caddis Patterns?

Post by swellcat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:58 pm

_____
From 30 May versus a January "black caddis" report, so these could be altogether different.

_____
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 pm

I'd vote for Hans's Midnight Walker pattern.

http://www.flytierspage.com/hweilenmann ... walker.htm
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:45 am

That looks like an excellent choice, Ray. Those of us who do not have the Argentinian hare for the thorax could probably get by with dark (real) hare's ear as a sub.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:09 am

tie2fish wrote:That looks like an excellent choice, Ray. Those of us who do not have the Argentinian hare for the thorax could probably get by with dark (real) hare's ear as a sub.
Any coarse (dyed) black dubbing will work - black dyed squirrel or hare's ear perfect.
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:59 pm

swellcat,

Can you tell us anything about the caddis you photographed and posted? How big? Species? They sure look interesting with their bee-like coloration in the abdomen and panelled wings.

Tom
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:19 pm

_____
Thanks for the replies.

Tom, I'd elaborate if I could. The wasp-bodied, black bugs on the tree (sorry—no size reference) were streamside in late May, and the "black caddis" report is from the last week in January, so these hatches could be entirely unrelated.

The ambiguous or catch-all "black caddis" term can apparently mean cream- and green-bodied bugs, so one supposes this is an invitation to tie three times the patterns.
_____
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:05 am

Swellcat,

Have you been able to positively identify those as a caddis species? They appear almost smooth or shiny winged. I may be wrong but I recall caddis having a textured type of wing, a bit like a moth rather than a shiny smooth wing.

I'm curious and I was surprised when I saw the photos.

Cheers
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:08 am

Boris wrote:Have you been able to positively identify those as a caddis species? They appear almost smooth or shiny winged. I may be wrong but I recall caddis having a textured type of wing, a bit like a moth rather than a shiny smooth wing.
Boris,

Not to be pedantic but the answer lies in the Latin name for the order:

Trichoptera (Caddisflies)

The name Trichoptera, derived from the Greek words "trichos" meaning hair and "ptera" meaning wings, refers to the long, silky hairs that cover most of the body and wings.

Cheers,
Hans W
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:32 am

Excepting the yellowish markings as opposed to reddish, these look similar to box elder bugs.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"