Black Caddis Patterns?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

swellcat

Re: Black Caddis Patterns?

Post by swellcat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:20 am

Have you been able to positively identify those as a caddis species?
No. The "black caddis" reference comes from this fishing/hatch report.
Fly fishing hatches in order of importance: BWOs, Midges, Black Caddis, March Browns
_____
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:11 am

tie2fish wrote:Excepting the yellowish markings as opposed to reddish, these look similar to box elder bugs.
Actually, the bark on which these bugs are sitting looks quite a bit like that of a young Texas boxelder tree ... https://www.google.com/search?q=box+eld ... 1024%3B768
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Boris

Post by Boris » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote:
Boris wrote:Have you been able to positively identify those as a caddis species? They appear almost smooth or shiny winged. I may be wrong but I recall caddis having a textured type of wing, a bit like a moth rather than a shiny smooth wing.
Boris,

Not to be pedantic but the answer lies in the Latin name for the order:

Trichoptera (Caddisflies)

The name Trichoptera, derived from the Greek words "trichos" meaning hair and "ptera" meaning wings, refers to the long, silky hairs that cover most of the body and wings.

Cheers,
Hans W
Thanks Hans. Nothing pedantic in your answer.

Yes, names are not usually arbitrary but often descriptive in some way as your post reveals.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:10 pm

I don't know what your photo is of, but it is not caddis.

"Black Caddis" I think is just a relative term to early season hatching grannom. These are also the Mother's Day Caddis. The pupa are green with dark bands normally. After they emerge and fly about for a couple hours the bodies turn brown with a dark brown almost black wing, hence the Black Caddis.

Even though the pupa are green, I have tried to match the green color but I think the peacock body still works better. I don't know why. Maybe rib the peacock with green.

Nemes' has a great Mother's Day caddis softy pattern with a peacock body, partridge hackle and dubbed mole head. Here is my version. I just add a dun dyed peacock thorax to represent an emerging wing.

Here is another I like to use. Bronze peacock body, rusty dun hackle, and coq de leon hackle fibers spread out on top for wing.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
swellcat

Re: Black Caddis Patterns? — When in doubt, whip the peacock out

Post by swellcat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:28 pm

_____
When in doubt, whip the peacock out. (Good thing is, even if the troot ignore these, we almost certainly have bluegill- or green sunfish-slayers on our hands.) Size . . . 14-18?
The pupa are green with dark bands normally. After they emerge and fly about for a couple hours the bodies turn brown with a dark brown almost black wing, hence the Black Caddis.
Thank you for overcoming my accidental hijacking of my own thread and addressing what is needed.

_____
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 pm

:D

Usually in #14 and #16 in my neck of the woods.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 pm

That's a nice tie, both are.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 am

I enjoy the Black Caddis hatch on the Big Horn River in Montana. Comes off in September .
It looks nothing like the Mothers Day caddis, and it does cover the drift boat when it hatches.
Muskrat Soft Hackle has always done well for me. Especially in riffles.

http://www.madeontheyellowstone.com/mad ... addis.html
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tjd

Post by tjd » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Very nice patterns, Carl! Very nice take on Nemes' Mother's Day Caddis.

Best,

Tim