Tiny soft hackles ala Syl Nemes

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wayneb

Tiny soft hackles ala Syl Nemes

Post by wayneb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 am

Hi All;
I'm reading Sylvia Nemes' book "The soft hackle fly and tiny soft hackles" and he describes another method to use larger feathers to the tiny flies. "Build the body of your fly and create a bump of thread just behind hook eye, tie over length barbs cut from the stem pointing backwards with two loose wraps. Then pull to desired length, bind and barbs will distribute themselves around the hook. Trim excess and complete head."

Anyone tri this technique?

I've used the technique recently posted by tietofish but, I end up with a bump of thread behind the barbs.

Wayneb
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Tiny soft hackles ala Syl Nemes

Post by letumgo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:38 am

Wayne - Yes, I have used Syl's technique with good success. It is a simple way to "size" the hackle to the hook being used.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Wayne,
I also have a copy of Syl's book and it is fantastic! The technique that you and Ray are going over is a good one but our pal Bill Shuck does a terrific job with his own special technique that is really quite cool! Both methods sure do save alot of marginal hackles from certain extinction!
Great topic friend! Keep'm coming!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:40 pm

DOUGSDEN wrote:save alot of marginal hackles from certain extinction!
Extinction!?!

There is an even easier, and PROBABLY JUST AS EFFECTIVE use for larger hackles! Tie larger flies. I have done extremely well with size 6 flies (1XL - so effectively a size 4) tied with the largest hackles a partridge skin has to offer.

Granted, I don't fish highly pressured tailwaters where everyone says you need a size 24 or smaller, but still.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:44 pm

CM_Stewart wrote: Granted, I don't fish highly pressured tailwaters where everyone says you need a size 24 or smaller, but still.
You do not always have to use size 24's, but, it's comforting for me to know when, and how.
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 am

I use this method with very small flies 20, 22,24. Works well.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
cassady

Post by cassady » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:31 am

Craig Mathews, of Blue Ribbon Flies, has several videos over at youtube where he shows this technique (just look for anything with a soft hackle).

c
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi All;

Thanks for the replies and suggestion of Craig Matthew's YouTube video, I now understand the technique after seeing it demonstrated.

The challenge shall be which technique I prefer, the one shown by Bill Shuck or Sylvester Nemes?

Bill: did you erve think you'd be compared to Sylvester Nemes??

Wayneb
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Hardly, Wayne. I can't really take credit for the process I posted anyhow; I can't remember where I saw it, but it didn't originate with me.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:55 pm

. . . tie over-length barbs cut from the stem . . .
The Charlie Craven/Craig Matthews on-the-stem, V-notch method is somewhat different from what Nemes describes, isn't it?

____
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet