what size soft hackles do you tie/use

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: what size soft hackles do you tie/use

Post by William Anderson » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 am

zen leecher wrote:I made it out river fishing the last three days. My plans were to fish the soft hackles in my box. Normally my fishing is confined to lakes and it isn't an issue to consider what generation insects need matching as lakes usually have good sized bugs. What I experienced was it appeared I needed #16 and #18 soft hackles. Do you guys normally carry smaller sizes like these for later generation hatches? What would you recommend?

Last night just to see what I had partridge hackle for I did a test tie on a #18 partridge and green. I normally use a pedestal magnifying glass for tying and think I might have to tote it along to find the hook eye when fishing.

Bill
Bill, regarding the tying on of a small fly on the stream, C&F makes a few boxes with this feature built in and it's very effective. (See midge boxes - C&F). Image

The other alternative, something I should think about actually, is to pre-tie you tippet 12-18" to the fly at the vise and just tie your double surgeons knot on the water. My eyesight started failing in June, and I have a new found appreciation for all those "old man" gadgets I have always seen in fly shops.

regarding fly sizes, I fall in line with the rest. I tie mostly 90% on #14 and #16, a few #18 and Fewer #12's. Although if I were to fish more diverse water, my range may vary. Still water is still beyond me with a fly rod and small flies.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 am

My size hook depends on what I am imitating or attracting. ;) Like most of the posters my average soft hackle fly is tied in the 14-16 size range. My favorite fly to fish during the year is a 2XL #8 or #10 October Caddis SH and some steelhead SHs are up in the Ought range. Most of my tiny wet flies #20 and smaller are simple pupa and emerger patterns.

P.S. William,
I love the threader fly boxes!!
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:55 pm

I may look into a threader fly box for what I call "the little shits". It would make threading a small eye or a partially clogged eye way easier.

I haven't been tying the past couple of days as I was out chasing some of our local lake trout. That's rainbows in lakes. The Moses Lake area is almost 100% lakes with one or two somewhat local spring creeks that have trout. I did a good one today. Almost lost the keys for the hitch lock on the boat. It prevents someone from unhooking the boat trailer and driving away with it. It also prevents the owner from unhooking the trailer if he misplaces the keys. I had to unhook the receiver hitch to disengage.
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Another possibility:
~$10 US (Cabela's)
or

~$25 US (Orvis)

They are magnetic.
Gonna get one of the first type next time I place an order. Fly eyes have started moving around on me when I try to tye them on my tippet.

Kirk
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:54 am

Hi Bill,
You most likely are well aware of this but I will mention it anyway just in case. I have a small magnifying glass attached to the bill of my cap to help in tying flies etc. especially around dusk or early in the morning. The one I have I got at Cabela's I think....lol.

Tim

I normally use a pedestal magnifying glass for tying and think I might have to tote it along to find the hook eye when fishing.

Looks like a new box of teeny little soft hackles is in order.

Bill[/quote]
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.