Alpaca!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wsbailey

Re: Alpaca!

Post by wsbailey » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Some years past, I went to a fiber festival in Michigan. There was a woman at the show with a small herd of alpacas. She was wearing a shawl that had a very open weave, somewhat like netting. She told me it was still very warm. Another vendor was selling a beach-ball size bag of llama down. He told it was the last available from a fiber dehairing operation that was shut down by the EPA. I bought the whole bag but have yet to dye any. Many years ago I worked at the local zoo in the part called the African Veldt. It was winter and a brutal one at that. One day the temperature was -20°F and the wind was 35 mph. Still the animals had to be fed and watered. That year I shoveled so much manure I was as thin as I was ten years earlier when I was in the military. I was allowed to collect manure for my compost pile. My favorite was giraffe. When they had to go it looked like a giant milk dud machine in overdrive. Zebra manure is also excellent, just like horse. The very worst, to me, was the flamingo. I don't ever want to smell that again. Bill
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:45 pm

Avoid flamingo poop. Check.

I learn something new, and interesting, everyday on this site. Combined with the many laughs in the process.

Great thread Eric! :D ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

wsbailey wrote:I was allowed to collect manure for my compost pile. My favorite was giraffe. When they had to go it looked like a giant milk dud machine in overdrive. Zebra manure is also excellent, just like horse. The very worst, to me, was the flamingo. I don't ever want to smell that again. Bill
So, they had no Elephant? Or was that shovelled with a tractor?
How about the monkeys? They help you out by throwing it your way so you don't need to shovel......
If your going to collect for the compost, guess a big herbivore is a good choice- shame the nearest Giraffe are six hours drive from here.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Poop is gold for folks growing . . . pretty much anything.

Holiday decorations - 2014
Combined with the many laughs in the process.
The usual silence is deafening. Glad to know someone is laughing quietly.
We need to keep a sense of humour and a wry smile regarding our search for fly-dressing "authenticity". — GlassJet
novabass

Post by novabass » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 am

I have a source for alpaca and I've used it in some of my streamers.
I am planning to use it in a flymph soon.
FrankenFly <--my website
Where fly tying comes to life!
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:44 am

Our local zoo doesn't have any elephants. I don't suppose they really have the space or resources. The zoo has an Australian Adventure section you might like to look at here: http://kidszoo.org/. Years ago I visited the Saigon zoo where there were some elephants to view. You could buy sections of sugar cane to feed to them. One visitor that day was offering a piece of sugar cane to one of the elephants and before the elephant could take it he would withdraw it. After he did this several times; the elephant took a big drink of water and drenched the man using its trunk. Bill
So, they had no Elephant? Or was that shovelled with a tractor?
How about the monkeys? They help you out by throwing it your way so you don't need to shovel......
If your going to collect for the compost, guess a big herbivore is a good choice- shame the nearest Giraffe are six hours drive from here.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Served him right, I'd say.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
ashley

Post by ashley » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I haven't checked in a few weeks but for some reason this thread coincides with talk about alpacas last week when my brother mentioned that someone he worked with had these beastes. I said that I was after some and he said he would ask, I didn't expect any seeing as though she sells it but I was wrong. He turned up on Saturday with a large bag in a nice brown and white as well. Still need some dark brown though so its off to the other farm which as them. I am not that convinced that it takes sharpie colojr very well though.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi Smuggler,
Would you mind sending me a little bit to try, please? Here is my address:
Tim York
33 Edgecombe Cres
Dartmouth, NS
B2V 2A7
If it is too much trouble then please don't bother. I'm ordering some mohair dubbing and I thought about mixing the alpaca with it.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:28 pm

Eric,

I received the package of alpaca dubbing today. Thanks buddy!

Now, lets see what kind of mad creation I can come up with. :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean