Dubbing using silk thread

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

Dubbing using silk thread

Post by raven4ns » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:24 am

Hello,
All of my dubbed bodies are done using my fingers and twisting it directly on the thread. Sometimes I will use a dubbing wax other times I don't need to depending on the material I am using. Can you use silk thread in the same way as Uni-thread i.e. dubbing using your fingers to twist it on the thread or do you have to use a spinning block like many of you use? When I tie my flies I want it simple and easy, using my fingers is simple and easy...lol. Thank you.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
narcodog

Re: Dubbing using silk thread

Post by narcodog » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:05 am

Use silk the same as any other thread. The twist is opposite of Uni and if using Pearsall's Gossamer it will be heavier. It is easy to do split thread dubbing, just untwist, insert the material and spin it, easy peasy.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:26 am

raven4ns, Howdy;

One of our members, Hans Weilenmann, did a great video about
the split thread method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0R5BMlKZ7I

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the info. I'm going to order a few colors to see how things go. Thank you again.
All the best,

Tim
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:43 am

Tim ~ If the objective is in fact to get the dubbing onto the thread as quickly and easily as possible without regard for how it looks, then perhaps it is best to not pay extra money for silk thread. The use of spinning blocks, touch dubbing, and split thread techniques are designed to create special effects -- combining the characteristics of various threads with the textures and colors of various kinds of dubbing materials to produce a finished product that would be extremely difficult to duplicate using twist dubbing alone.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks, Bill, I understand what you are getting at. I watched the video that Hank suggested which seems like an easy method as well. Uni-thread apparently is a bonded thread which I didn't realize and it makes the split thread technique almost impossible. I will be using mohair to add to the bugginess and see how it works on both kinds of thread. Thank you for your suggestion though.
All the best,

Tim
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:10 am

Tim,

As Bob (narcodog) indicated, you can use a regular finger twist dubbing method, the same as you would for ordinary thread. The twist of Pearsall's gossomer silk is exactly opposite of regular thread, which can create small differences in the way the silk thread behaves. I use several different dubbing techniques and get similar results with silk and regular thread. The split thread technique requires you to untwist the thread in the opposite direction of regular thread. If you are using UNI-thread most of the time, you will find that it is very difficult to split (at least that has been my experience). The Pearsalls Gossamer thread has three strands, which are larger in diameter and it is easier to tell when you have untwisted the thread (it will get wider and flatten out once the three strands are next to each other).

Carl (Old Hat) introduced us to an interesting technique earlier this year, where you untwist the Pearsall's thread and then dub only one or two of the strands (not all three). When the thread is twisted again, it forms a fuzzy dubbed body, but the undubbed strand(s) help segment the body when it is wrapped. I will have to find his original post, since it was such a cool technique.

Another thing to concider when tying with silk thread is the use of some sort of wax. It is not necessary. Rest assured you can use silk thread without the need for wax. However, wax is often used with silk thread to improve the construction of the fly (materials stay where you want them) and make the flies more durable (the as the wax sets, it binds the material to the hook and helps prevent deterioration of the thread over time).

Wax is used to help prevent unwanted movement of the thread (slippage) and helps grab onto the dubbing material. There are all sorts of waxes, with a whole spectrum of different properties (slightly tacky to outright sticky, colors from nearly clear all the way to almost black, textures from butter-soft to brittle-hard). Dubbing wax is necessary for certain techniques (Leisenring style silk dubbing brushes, sparse North Country spider touch dub bodies, etc.).

Do NOT let wax intimidate you. It is simply another variable to concider, and another facinating subtopic of traditional wingless wet flies.

One of the nice things about tying with unwaxed thread, it that you can twist dub the thread and then slide the dubbing along the thread so it just touches the hook shank where you want to begin the dubbed body. If you use waxed thread, it is difficult to slide the dubbing around once it is twisted onto the thread.

Have fun!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:13 am

If you are using mohair perhaps a dubbing loop would be more appropriate. I do not know the size of pattern you are tying, but the loop might be an option. In any case, YouTube has plenty of videos to demonstrate/explain any method you may choose. YouTube is user friendly, and quick.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks again, guys, for your help and kindness, I truly appreciate it. I know you guys come from all over the states plus internationally but I sure would like to meet you on a little trout stream just to shake hands and tell you face to face, how much I appreciate your hospitality. Thank you.
All the best,

Tim
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:45 pm

raven4ns, Howdy;

We have been known to hold a "Get Together" every once in awhile ... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin