The Broadcrust

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Tom Smithwick

Re: The Broadcrust

Post by Tom Smithwick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:42 am

Dubbin - You had me going there, as I recalled the breadcrust as a completely different pattern. The photo is from Mike Valla's book, but I believe I have also seen a much more slender version somewhere. I would agree that your version is a good imitation of a case building caddis. I seem to recall a version with an abdomen like a red quill dry fly, a fur thorax, and the grizzly hen. I could not find it anywhere, however.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 am

Here is my initial attempt at the Broadcrust pattern. It is tied on a Daiichi 1760 Size #14 hook and hackled with an upper covert from the same bird skin that provided the tail feather. This pattern must have been especially productive for the tier who originated it, as it is relatively difficult and quite time consuming to tie.

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:36 pm

It's not uncommon for any given pattern to vary widely under a given name, but of all the Breadcrust patterns I've ever seen, Mike's seems in no way to resemble the original, to the best of my knowledge. Mark Libertone tied a nice version (this from memory), the Craven pattern is really nice. Bill's breadcrust from some time ago was very cool and his recent broadcrust is stellar, as is Tom's original Broadcrust. Nice set of patterns and an interesting historic angle. Not something to ignore, but maybeotoo complex for my sensibilities. Nicely done.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 am

Nice work, Bill. I did warn you that you would probably curse me out:) It does get easier and faster with experience. The best tier of this pattern I can think of recommended scuffing the blade lightly on the tabletop to dull it very slightly. Also, avoid any slicing motion of the blade. It's as much of a split as it is a cut. Just slowly push the stem into the blade. It's all about practice, and it's definitely unique among tying skills.
mike valla

Post by mike valla » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Interesting stuff.

The Breadcrust version I showed in my little Wet Fly book is actually very well known. However, if you weren't a "Noll Child"
it may have confused not a few. Noll children, as we call ourselves, were nourished in the 1960's by The Noll Guide to Trout Flies (formerly titled the Family Circle Guide to Trout Flies, which was around in the early 1950's). The robust pattern is direct from the Guide. There are other slender versions of a like-named pattern, the Breadcrust. The version I tied is the one I fished with since 1968. The Breadcrust I still tie has been around pre-1950's.

I guess this ages me.