The Broadcrust

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Tom Smithwick

The Broadcrust

Post by Tom Smithwick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:16 pm

The photo is a bit washed out. This is an old timers fly, a version of the breadcrust developed on PA's Brodhead creek. It breaks all of my own rules, hardbodied when I prefer fuzzy, and stiff hackled when I prefer soft. The body is the center stem of a ruffed grouse tail feather either brown phase or grey, but brown preferred. The hackle is dark dun, or preferably grizzly dun, all the better with rusty edges, if you can find such a critter. To tie the fly first cut all the barbs off the stem with a single edge razor. Don't try to strip them off because you will take part of the color with them. I find it best to lay the feather flat, and cut from the base toward the tip. Try not to leave little stubs. Then cut the butt end of the stem away, and insert the razor into the end of the stem, splitting it side to side. Only the top of the stem is useful. Don't try it with a shaving razor, they are too sharp and the cut will want to wander. Hold the razor in your right hand, and slowly push the stem into it with your left hand in 1/4" steps. You will ruin a few and curse me before you get the hang of it. Leave the white pith in the center alone.

You should end up with a tapered piece that can be tied on and wrapped to make a tapered body, hackled as usual.
tie2fish

Re: The Broadcrust

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 pm

An interesting variation, Tom. Is it advisable to soak the split stem prior to wrapping? I'd hate to go through the stripping/splitting process only to have it break or splinter.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm

The stuff seems to be very tough, Bill. The fly pictured was tied from a feather that has been in my kit at least 10 years, and did not feel brittle at all.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:10 pm

This is a pattern I've never tried... honestly I kind of forgot about it! Very interesting Tom.
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:48 am

I've had pretty good luck with the breadcrust, but I prefer to leave some stubble on the quill.

You can lose a finger tying those things.
Bob
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Nice work Tom, nice tutorial to boot.
Not a pattern I have had much to do with, nor heard of often. Gets a mention here and there, but nobody really runs with it. Nice to see it pop up here where a lot of older pattern get discussed and digested.
I do some similar ties with dyed goose biots wrapped as the abdomen, but may have to give the authentic a go..... where is that steel mesh glove of mine........ :lol:
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:57 am

Tom, the final result is not unlike some flies I've tied using a porcupine guardhair as a quill body, although the guardhair is missing the texture. of your fly. This is a cool technique. I haven't tied the breadcrust but I've seen a few tiers here who have done an amazing job. It's attractive, and I can see how it would be an effective pattern, but I have a question. There are some very specific attributes to the Breadcrust and the Broadcrust as well. I'm wondering what is really trying to be achieved in terms of triggers or profile or action. The stiff hackle makes me think it would be intended for some faster broken water if it's to be fished wet and the body is caddis-like. Do you know more about the Breadcrust's intended effect? Just curious. It's a cool pattern and I'm all for working out an interesting material combination. Thanks for the detailed procedure.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:38 am

Tom - Thank you for the tutorial. I read thru your post and found it very interesting. I'm happy to see you jump right in.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:41 pm

William - I have used this fly primarily as a searching pattern in the Brodhead, and in the Big Bushkill. With the stiff hackle, I do tend to concentrate on the fast riffles and pocket water. It is fished as a wet fly all the time, drifted and swung, or guided through pocket water. I'm out of practice at cutting the bodies. It will work if the body is a bit chunky like this one, but I would prefer a somewhat more slender effect. It takes some practice to cut the skinnier stem strips. As to what it, or the breadcrust, is supposed to represent, I don't know. Any time I thought I had that figured out, the fish ended up getting the last laugh...
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:57 pm

I have always thought the "Breadcrust as a decent cased caddis nymph. I ran out of Roughed Grouse a few years ago and stopped tying them.
Trimmed Grizzly hackle that has been palmered seems to do a good job for me. I like the looks of your Broadcrust. I could not venture a guess either as to what it represents.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox ... arentID=86