Short Shank vs. Longer Shank hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Short Shank vs. Longer Shank hooks

Post by Old Hat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Curious if anyone wants to share their thoughts. Is there and advantage or disadvantage to each. I couldn't really come up with a logical answer on my own. Thought we could might discuss shorter shank hooks vs. longer shank.

I am mostly thinking about simple spider patterns, where the hook shank length isn't really a factor of matching a hatch profile.

Short shank hooks I think would include wide gap hooks. Generally a wide gap #16 is the about the same as a short shank #14. The longer shank hooks I am talking about are the standard or say 2x long hooks, not streamer hooks of course.

I rather prefer spiders on a shorter shank hook. But my preference really is only visual. I see a lot of spiders tied on standard or longer hooks, especially in the States. Is this an advantage, disadvantage or just like myself, only the tier's visual preference? I don't know. I am leaning towards not much difference.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
zen leecher

Re: Short Shank vs. Longer Shank hooks

Post by zen leecher » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:27 pm

I've got a bunch of 1x long dry fly hooks I tie soft hackles on. I'm on the ropes but think the standard length hook lends to a more attractive looking fly even if the fish don't care.

I've also tied on some wide gape #18 hooks and realized afterwards they could also be called a short shank #14.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:15 pm

I agree about spiders being tied here in the states on longer shank hooks. For what reason? I don't know. As far as I know the hooking potential isn't any better or worse long shank vs short.

I use either or depending on the size of the fly I'm imitating.
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:27 pm

"Shank length" and "hook gape" are pretty much interchangeable for me, because one is directly related to the other. I don't think the 1X-long, 2X-short, etc. descriptions make much difference until the flies get pretty small (about #20 and smaller). With small flies, the "standard" shank-gape relationship doesn't seem to hook very well. I'll feel lots of momentary strikes, but then the fish departs with a smile on its face. That's when I look for a wider hook gape relative to the shank length. That can be done by buying 1X-short, 2X-short, etc. or 1X-wide, 2X-wide, etc. hooks. The goal is to have a wider hook gape relative to the shank length.

A second dizzying complication is that different hook manufacturers have different definitions of what "standard length" or "standard gape" means.

In the end, I just buy what looks good given the size of fly. That usually means "standard" for everything down to about #18. If "standard" is a little bit longer or a little bit shorter, it's not very important. Size #20 and below, however, I start paying attention. An exception to the "I don't care" rule is beadhead nymphs, where I'll use a 1X- or 2x-long hook to allow room for the bead.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:56 pm

I agree with you ThirdMeadow on the wider gape/shank relationship for the smaller sizes. At #18 I prefer using a wider gape. However, many times, I've just tied a #20 size fly body onto a standard #16 hook and haven't noticed any difference in the willingness of the fish to take that less than the same body size on a #20 hook.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 pm

For spiders I like the look of the short shanked hook and lately I've been using the Partridge spider hook and also some tube hooks. For Flymphs I like the 1x long, they give you a little more room to imitate a bug.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Old Hat wrote:At #18 I prefer using a wider gape.
Mr. Hat,
Maybe you just catch larger trout than me! The bigger the fish ... the bigger the hook needed for a good hook set.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Nope, I think we are in agreement, that's how I meant it anyway.

Big fish are over-rated. There, I said it. :D
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Old Hat wrote:Nope, I think we are in agreement, that's how I meant it anyway.

Big fish are over-rated. There, I said it. :D

Thanks Carl, I feel so much better now. :oops:
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:44 pm

I gave up on short shank hooks many years ago, based upon actual on-water experience and not "looks".

Everything anyone needs to know about trout hook mechanics is in Datus Proper's, "What the Trout Said". It was profoundly influential and his conclusions are hard to refute.