Short Shank vs. Longer Shank hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Re: Short Shank vs. Longer Shank hooks

Post by PhilA » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:16 pm

My bookshelf has grown beyond any reasonable limit. Like airplanes stacked up over O'Hare, new arrivals have nowhere to land. If, however, I was forced to choose one and only one book that discusses the traditions, methods, and tactics of tying and fishing wet flies and wingless wets, it would be Roger Fogg's The Art of the Wet Fly (1979).
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Ok. So I've got some reading to do. I have a good collection not hardly any listed here.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Howdy All;

It seems that, what with my own birffday fast approaching, I send off and get myself
something new to read. As I've heard and read alot about this Datus Proper fella, so I
thought I'd see what I could find. Found one in Washington State, and it arrived today.
A tad musty smelling (it's from Wa. :roll: ). It's in great shape and according to the info.
page it's a 1982 and a first edition. Doesn't even look like its been read, so, I'll take care
of that. Figured I'd see what all the fuss is about ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice score Hank. Enjoy the read. It's a good one.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 pm

A couple of weeks ago I made the following statement on this thread:
I gave up on short shank hooks many years ago, based upon actual on-water experience and not "looks".
Rereading this I realize that it may have sounded a bit terse; I did not mean it to. What I really meant to say is that to me, in real life fishing situations, form follows function and I have found that short shank hooks, especially models with straight eyes, don't seem to hook as well as longer (standard) shank hooks. Believe me, I have tried them all and for my money I will pick a standard length, down eye, hook over a shorter one every time. I won't deny that some of the other hook designs can look very attractive to me and as you all know I dress flies on many styles of hook from antique snecks to modern TMCs. However, what looks best to me from a fishing standpoint are flies dressed on hook models I have a high degree of confidence in, for example TMC 3769, Partridge L2A, etc. These have stood the test of time with me and have accounted for many, many trout over the years with few failures and what I believe to be good hooking and holding qualities.

There is a trend to tie on the many curved hooks available today. Spiders, dries and nymphs are all dressed on curvy hooks, often I believe perhaps, to set the patterns apart from a more common and traditional look. That's fine. I've gone that route myself, but with very indifferent results when it came to hooking and holding fish. What some don't know is that many of these hook styles are derived from hooks used for bait fishing, especially in Asia. As we all know, in bait fishing the fish often takes the baited hook deep in the mouth or even swallows it, hence the effectiveness of some of these hooks when used for their intended purpose. The same is true of the short shank, straight eye hooks that are being touted as "Spider Hooks"; they were originally used for course fishing in the UK and Europe and were adapted to fly tying. I was trying these hooks nearly 30 years ago but never cam to like them for fishing. If Roger Fogg or Rob Smith, both champions of short shank, straight eye hooks, read this post we will just to politely agree to disagree on this point!
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:12 pm

I don't think you came across terse at all John. I be played with a ton of hooks as well, not for as long as you ;) but I agree only from experience, not being very knowledgeable on the "science" of hook form. I like the looks of spiders on short shank hooks but rarely fish them that way. I enjoy photography and use a lot of those lovely hooks for that purpose. I love the Tiemco 3769 but usually tie on the Mustad equivalent of the 3399, 3906 and 3906B as they have served me very well for the price.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
jong4029

Post by jong4029 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:10 pm

Wow
Looks like my reading just got a big kick in the behind. That list of John's sounds incredible. Will be looking to see which ones I have available then start chassing the internet. Been reading everything I could find on bamboo rod making and have gone through about 15 to 20 books, and have a pretty good handle on rod making. But have only found a few soft hackle books, but am studying the ones I have. Time to move into John's list. Will be posting it on my wall and starting the marathon. Sure wish I would have heard John and found this sight sooner in life, but we can catch up soon.
Thanks for all the great info from all of you.
Jon