Thorax on flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Re: Thorax on flies

Post by UC Steve » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Depends on the shape I'm after. Most of the ones in my box fish for specific insects on my home water, so I shape them to suit. Those, like clingers, fatter toward the front, I give a robust thorax; for more uniform or cigar shaped insects, just a small ball of dubbing behind the hackle to keep it splayed some. For emergers, which tend to bulge through the thorax, I add a thorax.
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:21 pm

William Anderson wrote: Two factors may be of minor interest. One, a small ball of hares ear behind the hackle will collect a bit of air and maintain a buoyancy that a spider without the dubbing would not. That would effect the behavior to some degree.
Hi, to all! Been a bit! Hope no one missed me much!
I agree, William! It does make a bit of difference and really comes to play when fishing "near still waters", be that either lake or slow pools!
I use Soft Hackles for most all fishing conditions and respect the difference not only in the texture of hackle but the size of thorax! Even in a "drag free drift", the thorax plays a bit of influence as to the "pulse" of the fly!
I've tied many of my patterns with variation in thorax, finding that on occasion, one "style" is a bit better with attracting fish! I've seen the same amount of variation in response between two flies, one having a stiffer hackle then the other, even when color was near perfect match!
Just kicking in on the topic!
Missed being around!
FliTrap
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:56 pm

FliTrap, Howdy;

Been almost 2 years, you must have been busy.
Thanks for dropping back in and posting some
observations. Missed your insights.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin