Giorgio Benecchi Iridescent Thread

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Re: Giorgio Benecchi Iridescent Thread

Post by Smuggler » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:23 am

I tried ordering this a couple times from Great Feathers shop in MD but had no such luck. They wouldn't even order any for me.

This looks absolutely lovely though, I've always wondered what the purple would look like. This confirms it! Thanks for sharing :)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:17 pm

I wish you hadn't posted this. (humor/kidding) :D :lol:

It is likely to cost me $28 plus shipping. I now "need" a set of this thread... :D

Your right, it makes a great looking spider. How do you like tying with it?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:24 pm

letumgo wrote:I wish you hadn't posted this. (humor/kidding) :D :lol:
It is likely to cost me $28 plus shipping. I now "need" a set of this thread... :D
I ordered some purple and light pink today. You'd probably love these fit steelies! Sorry I'm not helping am I Ray?
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:32 pm

I will have to dig some spools out and take a photo, but this stuff looks exactly like the stuff you can by in "dollar" stores over here originating from China.
You get a packet of around six different colours for about $2.
Basically it is a thin flat tinsel like "thread" reinforced with very fine nylon fibres?

If it is the same or similar, it makes great tags, ribbing material, but it tends to slip on itself like wire on wire if used as a main body material and is not that secure as a whip finish.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:43 pm

Matura mayfly,

Sounds about like the Kreinik metallic Blending Filament from a craft shop that I have used for years. I have used it on some midge bodies and other flies. I give it a wire counter rib or coat of Hard as Nails to make it more secure and survive fish teeth. ;)

DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Jeff and Roadkill,
The new G. Benecchi threads look terrific and you are right Ray, we all "need" a new set of threads once in a while! Look and see....you are prob. running low!
I have seen the Kreinik threads at our local craft shop and they look interesting too! Maybe I should invest in some of these soon! Are you in Ray? This will prob. give me an excuse to go to the mall with my women folk....They don't like that at all!
In the name of discovering new materials,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:34 pm

I will do my best to find some I have and photograph it..... but apart from the reinforcing strands being the same colour as the tinsel (the fibres in mine are translucent/clear) and this one being possibly finer in denier...... they look one in the same.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:41 pm

You guys might want to take a look at Montana Fly Company threads for the same effect. When I was working at Jim's I got a sampler packet from their Rep (basically, anything I wanted to try). Some nice stuff to tie with.
http://www.montanafly.com/mfc_tyingmate ... hread.html
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:21 am

John, thanks for sharing your take on this thread. I rather like the texture, bug-like unevenness, and the sparkly bits in the body. I'll be curious to hear how these produce. If you ever use a two or three cast set up, I'd like to hear how these compare. It would seem the sparkle would be a bonus under certain conditions. Nice post.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
weiliwen

Post by weiliwen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:15 pm

May I suggest you trot on over to your local JoAnne Fabric? Take a look at their Sulky iridescent thread. I imagine it's a lot cheaper than this. I used 145-8040 Opalescent and it works great: http://www.joann.com/sulky-sliver-metal ... oCGAbw_wcB