Ideas for thread and other spooled stuff storage

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Ideas for thread and other spooled stuff storage

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Hank, now I'm not suggesting you rush out and buy one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Excel-26-inch ... s/45301004
but it is more of a suggestion on the type of thing you might look out for on the second-hand, yard sale, ebay type market.
Not just for thread, but most your tying materials. A drawer could be divided out for thread by some clever aircraft mechanic kind of minded guy.

The old board with dowels is okay, especially if each dowel is only one spool high. Otherwise you can bet the RV the spool you want is always at the bottom of the stack.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 am

Mataura mayfly, Howdy;

Jeff, I already have one of these and it's packed full of "stuff" and I've an overhead
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-Serie ... s/16609546
cabinet that is getting a bit tight on space. Granted it has a small tackle box and
all the swap flies I've been fortunate to receive.
Looking for something not quite so hefty to migrate between the RV and the smaller
fish camp trailer. The tubes look like a good idea for the spooled items, Ray's
idea from a few years ago (notebook type), has merit as does the spendy messenger's
bag from Carl's post. I have some head-scratchin' and chin rubbin' to do.
This ain't done yet folks, as Dean Martin used to say at the end of his tv show,
"Keep those cards and letters comming."

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Hank,

I've been meaning to respond for several days. I hope to post some photos later, of some of the thread storage options I use. I use a bunch of different plastic containers. One of them is a Shimano fishing lure box. I use this to hold a longer spools of Krainek silk and various floss materials.

One of cheapest options I've found are used food containers. One of the Mexican fast food places I go to serves their nachos in nice plastic containers. After finish my nachos, I take the container home, give it a trip thru the dish washer and then use them as thread storage containers. So, in the price department, these are essentially free storage containers. :D

When I need a new one, I just need to go out for another batch of nachos. Mmm. Nachos...

I will post pictures later. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Ray, Howdy;

Which Mexican fast food place? Did it used to feature a wee bitty dog with an accent?
Still have to go to Las Cruces to find any fast food 'cept of course Micky D's, they are
like fleas on a dog in the Summer. :roll: .

hank
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:17 pm

Howdy All;

Just went searching for a bit and found the post in the photo section about everyone's tying area.
Wow, forgot what extremes we have on the forum. From dub-ya's uber-ultra spareness to Ray's
full length desk for his T-Rex arms ... with not one square inch for anything else unless it goe atop
something else. The diversity is comforting ... very comforting :D .
I think asking for assistance with ideas for how to pack/stack some of my tying materials is in good
hands and with good minds behind the ideas, at least I feel I'll get a full spectrum of ideas.
Please keep those cards an letters commin' folks.

hank
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:23 am

Hank,

The mexican restaurant I go to is called "Mighty Taco". It is a local chain, that has several restaurants around western New York.

Here are the photos I promised earlier. The photos are a bit grainy. I was being lazy and used my iPad to take the photo. Bad lighting didn't help the image quality. Oh well, you get the idea anyways.

Shimano Box

Nacho Box Turned into a Thread Storage Containers:

I found these nice containers at Walmart, in their office supplies section:

The UNI-storage boxes are also excellent. It you visit a fly shop, ask them if they have any empty containers from the thread they sell. The spools of UNI-thread/yarn/floss/etc. gets shipped in small clear plastic trays. After selling the thread, some shops sell the plastic trays for a buck or two. An excellent bargain and very handy storage boxes.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Ray, Howdy;

That tackle storage box looks to be like something I've been tossing around
in my head. Lots of extra space there :roll: .
I like those Nacho your regular thread storage boxes, Restaurant supply places
will be cranking them out by the millions, so should be able to find some in a
like establishment.
I can ask at the local Wal-Mart about the thread shipping containers, probably what they
get theirs in as well.
Great ideas ...

Come on now folks any more ideas????? :?

hank
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:24 pm

hankaye wrote:
:lol: , you're funny. Next time I go the 60 miles to Las Cruces, I'll try to locate a sewing shop.
If there isn't one there I'll wait till I drive the 160 miles to Albuquerque. Lots of folks forget I
have to travel quit a ways to get to "Nowhere" let alone "Somewhere" and getting to "There" from
"Here" is a definite impossibility... :lol: , :lol: .
Hank.... You had me rolling.... I use to work the orchards at Akela Flats, down in Interstate 10...LOl Now that's out there, between two dust devils, and and some of those sand rodents!! The Thread towers from Feather Craft are good, as are the plastic trays that go into the tower! Last time I was in there, I picked up a doz. extra trays and stack them into a small tote box. At 24 spools per tray, the doz. trays got most the spools of the desk! Now I'll work on the big box of loose spools hidden under the table!
Take care!
FliTrap
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am

FliTrap wrote:
hankaye wrote:
:lol: , you're funny. Next time I go the 60 miles to Las Cruces, I'll try to locate a sewing shop.
If there isn't one there I'll wait till I drive the 160 miles to Albuquerque. Lots of folks forget I
have to travel quit a ways to get to "Nowhere" let alone "Somewhere" and getting to "There" from
"Here" is a definite impossibility... :lol: , :lol: .
Hank.... You had me rolling.... I use to work the orchards at Akela Flats, down in Interstate 10...LOl Now that's out there, between two dust devils, and and some of those sand rodents!! The Thread towers from Feather Craft are good, as are the plastic trays that go into the tower! Last time I was in there, I picked up a doz. extra trays and stack them into a small tote box. At 24 spools per tray, the doz. trays got most the spools of the desk! Now I'll work on the big box of loose spools hidden under the table!
Take care!
FliTrap
FliTrap, Howdy;

Been past Akela Flats several times, when I couldn't find something in Deming so I closed the
base of the triangle and scooted across to Las Cruces. I'm just below the dam that forms Caballo Lake.

hank
drlogik

Post by drlogik » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:04 pm

I to use plastic compartment boxes to store spools of thread, dubbing, beads, etc. I get mine at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I also have two clear plastic spool tubes that I bought a long time ago that stay in my travel kit. I actually like them better than boxes but the darn things are expensive and not easy to find. I think as far as space is concerned they are better than boxes because you can stuff them anywhere and there is no wasted space.

Those UNI boxes are cool and all but they are $17 bucks a piece! Call me old fashioned but a $3 dollar box works just as well.
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

http://www.drlogik.com