Having a hard time

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

John Dunn

Having a hard time

Post by John Dunn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 am

I'm trying to tie a Waterhen Bloa, I don't have a Waterhen Wing but I have a chucker wing. I;m having trouble with the body I'm using yellow silk , with dark Mole fur, I'm waxing the silk trying to get that greenish olive color---The problem is the dub is to heavy, I have tied 4 and cut the thread off all four--Now I know too use a tinny winny amount and I think I am --Is their trick or am I just making to big of a deal out of this. I want the yellowish olive thread to show through.

Regards

John
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
Ruard

Re: Having a hard time

Post by Ruard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 am

John Dunn wrote:The problem is the dub is to heavy,
Regards

John
Hi John,
I do it like this: I wax the thread with BT Dubbing Wax super tacky, but just one time. Then I pick up a little bit of the mole fur and bring it four or five times to the thread. Don't roll it between your fingers. Then turn the thread with the mole fur around the hook. The lose molefur you can pick of. I call it not dubben but debben.
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks Ruard

I think I got it ,I just touched the dub to the silk and spun the silk and it looks a lot better.
I think I need different wax, Im going out today I will buy a glue stickI hear that workes good to.

Thanks

John
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:11 pm

John,
Are you using Pearsall's?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:19 pm

Yes Mark
I ordered the silk after you recommend I do so . The hen necks you also recommended I get , also tie a beautiful fly. You and the rest of the guys have really helped me out a lot. Too all I thank you all so many nice people. ;)

Regards

John
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:34 pm

I'M going to post a picture ?
This was the body I was looking for.

John
Attachments
Fly 012.jpg
Fly 012.jpg (72.69 KiB) Viewed 9951 times
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm

John,
Have you tried splitting the thread. Untwist it by spinning the bobbin in a clockwise direction. Carefully split with a pin or needle. I hold it apart with my non tying hand forefinger, place a little fine dubbing between the fibers, then re-twist and wrap.

On the Double Olive Flymph, I dubbed Leisenring fashion.

Thanks to Hans and Aaron for the tips in the other forum ;)

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:45 pm

I thought I would post this just in case the thread was read in the future. I solved the problem with the dub by using a glue stack. The wax was not sticky enough ,with the glue stack the mole hair stuck to the silk thread and wrapped quite fine on the body of the hook. IMHO it looked better than the above picture.

Regards

John :oops:
Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:00 pm

John- It's hard to find, but if you can get it Keane wax is amazing. You can adjust the tackiness by how much you roll it in your hand before you use it. It also darkens the silk very well depending on how many times you wax it. Another tip- try tying your bloa like a dark watchet, using two strands of yellow instead of the purple and orange. It will build a slightly larger body, but you can touch dub the mole between the two strands and then wind them side by side to achieve that perfect "haze" of mole. It also traps the mole under the silk creating a more durable dub. Hope this helps. :)
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:03 am

Liam wrote:John- It's hard to find, but if you can get it Keane wax is amazing. You can adjust the tackiness by how much you roll it in your hand before you use it. It also darkens the silk very well depending on how many times you wax it. Another tip- try tying your bloa like a dark watchet, using two strands of yellow instead of the purple and orange. It will build a slightly larger body, but you can touch dub the mole between the two strands and then wind them side by side to achieve that perfect "haze" of mole. It also traps the mole under the silk creating a more durable dub. Hope this helps. :)
Jim Slattery sells the Kean wax. www.jimsflyco.com
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."