Your Most Productive flies in 2015

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Your Most Productive flies in 2015

Post by tie2fish » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:40 am

I'm gonna need a bigger net!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:35 pm

A great thread William. I am really enjoying this. I haven't forgotten this thread and will be working on my list soon.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 am

I was trying to wait until I got the macro mode working on my camera but I have been striking out so here is my list:

Copperhead Nymph (14-18) - Basically a copper bead headed and copper ribbed hares ear
Thoraxed Partridge and Orange SH (14-18)
Thoraxed Snipe and Purple SH (16-18)
Len Wright's Fluttering Caddis Dry Fly (16 - 22) various color combinations - I tie this fly somewhat different than the original in that I tie the fly with smaller hooks (usually 4 sizes) but a full sized flat wing which allows for more wing on the water without a hook in the way while giving it a twitch.

By the way I have a Nikkon Coolpix S/3600 camera and I cannot get the macro mode to focus any closer than 3 inches even though it is rated for 2 centimeters - I suspect it is a user error.
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:28 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote:
NJpatbee wrote:I was trying to wait until I got the macro mode working on my camera but I have been striking out so here is my list:

Copperhead Nymph (14-18) - Basically a copper bead headed and copper ribbed hares ear
Thoraxed Partridge and Orange SH (14-18)
Thoraxed Snipe and Purple SH (16-18)
Len Wright's Fluttering Caddis Dry Fly (16 - 22) various color combinations - I tie this fly somewhat different than the original in that I tie the fly with smaller hooks (usually 4 sizes) but a full sized flat wing which allows for more wing on the water without a hook in the way while giving it a twitch.

By the way I have a Nikkon Coolpix S/3600 camera and I cannot get the macro mode to focus any closer than 3 inches even though it is rated for 2 centimeters - I suspect it is a user error.
Not sure if this helps you since I don't use a Nikkon point & click camera, but on my point & click cameras I have always gone to the menu and click on "macro".

The above hopefully meets the approval of the sassy H.F. guide. :D
Thanks - I did get one of the macro modes to work at about 3 - 4 inches and as suggested by William I have been cropping and enlarging with decent results.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 pm

This has been my most productive fly for 3 years now. It is Cal Bird's Spectral Bird's nest. The Spectral was one of the original colors and is the normal hair blend (50% opossum, 40% hair) and then the spectral adds 10% seal in all the primary and secondary colors.

These are my next most productive in no particular order.

Peacock and Starling. I just leave the hackle tip on.

Teeny Nymph variation. I add a copper rib and a single thin piece of gold or pearl tinsel along the back. this one is tied with pheasant tail dyed antique gold which has become my favorite color for this pattern.

This is my Timpanoga or KeHe Flymph that most of you have seen. Year in and year out one of my most productive patterns. This year I also tied it with the pheasants tippets dyed in chartreuse and a green tag. It was very productive as well.

This is a dry fly I started tying a couple years ago but it took me a while to fish it. Sat in my box. Worked very well this year when I decided to throw it in the water. It doesn't float very high and submerges easier than an Elk hair caddis. I fished it both dry and wet.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:26 am

That is an eclectic group, Carl. What is the predominant species where you fish most ... rainbow, cuts, browns, brookies?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:57 am

Yeah, I really tried to think about it and didn't keep it to any style or type. I kept it to trout though. I have some big uglies that caught me a ton of bass. :D

Mostly Rainbows and brookies, some cutthroat and some bull trout. The brookies are high mountain streams and lakes and not too picky. The bows and cuts can get selective. Bull trout are strange and often hit and miss on their behavior. They don't seem to care about hatches. 75% of my fishing is probably for rainbows. We don't have a lot of Browns around. I know of a few places but I don't get there often.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:50 pm

This whole thread is outstanding. I have been following along closely, fascinated by the variety of patterns. Thank you for sharing all these great proven flies.

Carl - "big uglies" describes much of the content in my fly boxes. Feel free to post your "big uglies" in the thread I created in the fishing cabin. I'd love to see what flies you've been fishing for bass (and steelhead for that matter).
http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6843
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean