Recommended Fly Tying Materials

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Recommended Fly Tying Materials

Post by paparex » Tue May 24, 2016 1:28 am

A birthday is coming up and I have been asked to make a list of tying materials I would like to have From this varied, wise and experienced group I ask: if you could recommend some standard tying supplies for soft hackles, what would they be? Give me an idea up to 5 per item of material you would recommend a tier has in personal stock.
Hackle
Dubbing
Hooks
Thread (type and colors)

Then a guilty pleasure...what one tying material would you like to have but don't because of price or availability?
Johnno

Re: Recommended Fly Tying Materials

Post by Johnno » Tue May 24, 2016 2:30 am

Hackle:
Partridge, grouse, hen (brown, olive and blue dun) starling, CDC

Dubbing:
Hare's Poll, Seal, Peacock (ok its not dubbing but how could you not have it?) Muskrat (mixed with clear/white antron mix ala early Hareline), Australian possum, squirrel, mouse (yup field mice)

Hooks:
That's a complete minefield. Kamasan, Tiemco, Partridge, Grip, Mustad.......

Thread:
Pearsalls - every colour you can get. Veevus 8/0 down to 16/0 - ditto, ....

Guilty Pleasure??
Condor Quill. I have but a smidgeon left and its awesome
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue May 24, 2016 7:24 am

Hackle: (In no particular order) Starling, Hungarian Partridge (brown phase) Hen necks in a plethora of different shades. Brahma Hens from Whiting are quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Waterhen wings!

Thread: Pearsalls in every color.

Hooks: Way too many to list.. Daiichi 1550/1560 18-10
Daiichi 1480 16-12 nice little spider hook.
Orvis Tactical dry fly hooks (Fulling Mill Ultimate Dry Fly)
Orvis Tactical wide gape hook( Fulling Mill Grab Gape)
Partridge L3A/S hooks for spiders.

Ok that's enough, I could go on for ages with hooks...

Dubbing: Seal, Mole in natural brown and black, hares masks, pine squirrel.

Guilty Pleasure: Hm... already found it :) But a Red Grouse would be wonderful.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue May 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Hackle: Partridge, webby hen (in light dun, speckled brown, honey dun, and Greenwell/furnace), woodcock wings, waterhen wings, English (red) grouse
Dubbing: Hares ear, hares poll, red fox, various wool yarns, muskrat, natural mole and a small coffee grinder
Hooks: Daiichi 1530/1550 in Sizes #12/#14, 1640 in Sizes #14/316 , and equivalents to Mustad 94840 and 94842 (both in Sizes #12/#14/#16)
Threads: Pearsall's Gossamer in as any colors as you can get your hands on starting with #3 primrose, Griffith's Sheer 16/0 in amber and olive, Uni-Thread 8/0 in black and rusty brown

Guilty pleasure: Golden plover skin
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue May 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Nice one Bill!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 pm

I could try but it would be redundant. Bill and Eric share my taste in materials to the letter. I would add a red fox mask as a favorite. The tones that are possible with that underfur are magic. And a search for real seal fur would be high on my list. Other than that see above.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed May 25, 2016 8:51 am

I have been fortunate enough to have most of the material mentioned and I would recommend an Scottish Red Grouse an English partridge, seal fur from a shop in Paris, it's then finest I have been able buy. I don't remember the shops name but a quick Google will put you there. Australian possum, I love tying with that stuff, not the stuff you buy off the shelf, on the hide.

Silk from Pearsall's Embroidery they have many more colors that Pearsall's and many of the old colors. Though I have every color made, I think when I go to their site I feel compelled to order more.

If your interested in some of these materials I know a shop that has some hanging on the wall. Just PM me.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed May 25, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm pretty much in agreement with what's already been listed as far as hackle and dubbing so I won't repeat it. As to hooks, I seldom use or want to use anything other Mustad R50's these days (sizes 12-20), A couple of items that don't fit into any of your categories that I'd be hard pressed to without would be pheasant tail and fine gold wire.

The guilty pleasure would be real Tup's blend.
Bob