Coachman Brown Hen Capes

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Coachman Brown Hen Capes

Postby WiFlyfisher » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Feedback needed.. I was emailing back and forth with Whiting Farms today about offering their wonderful 4 B's hen capes in a "Coachman Brown" color. They said if they get enough requests they would add it. Anyone else interested in "Coachman Brown"?

Below is fiery brown, which is not as dark nor as rich a color as Coachman Brown.

If you have seen or touched a Whiting Farms 4 B's hen capes yet, IMHO these are the best soft hackle feathered capes I have ever tried from Whiting and just as good as Collin's hen capes.

No one seems to offer dyed Coachman Brown hen capes any more and some of my favorite old patterns call for and look the best with Coachman Brown.

If you agree you can email sales@whitingfarms.com that you would like to see them offer 4 B's hen capes in Coachman Brown.

Thanks!
WiFlyfisher

Re: Coachman Brown Hen Capes

Postby Jerry G » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

I have had only one experience with Coachman Brown in feathers. Well actually it was a friend who several years ago asked a fly shop owner at a show if he had any rooster capes in Coachman Brown. The answer was to try Clairol. This got a chuckle out of the owners help but did little to amuse my friend. I have to wonder if we haven't been sort of programmed to accept the red brown capes and saddles as close enough.
Jerry G

Postby WiFlyfisher » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:00 am

Jerry G wrote:I have had only one experience with Coachman Brown in feathers. Well actually it was a friend who several years ago asked a fly shop owner at a show if he had any rooster capes in Coachman Brown. The answer was to try Clairol. This got a chuckle out of the owners help but did little to amuse my friend. I have to wonder if we haven't been sort of programmed to accept the red brown capes and saddles as close enough.

I have been told that a natural Coachman Brown rooster and hen capes are very rare but the the dyed ones look great. I do have a Whiting Coachman Brown rooster cape and saddle. Many of the feather capes and saddles colors we tie with today are dyed, not natural.
WiFlyfisher

Re: Brown and Down

Postby swellcat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:45 am

I'd urge you to think beyond the arbitrary, restrictive limitations of what Corporate America chooses to offer. Dyeing feathers yourself—perhaps even with natural, non-commercial dye sources—is an option, but, just yesterday, I skinned a ring-necked drake; his feathers run from black to white, with lots of dark-brown and even brown/mottled feathers in soft-hackle sizes on his neck.

The feathers are out there.
swellcat

Postby joaniebo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 am

John

Other than a bunch of hackles that I bought from Conranch Hackles virtually all the other hen hackles that I have came from Dave Roberts of Feathers Emporium in Madison, WI. I've visited Dave's home several times and you wouldn't believe his stock of hackles. I literally mean his entire basement, from floor to ceiling, has shelves of Rubbermaid boxes filled with bird skins.

By the way, I always thought that Conranch Hackles were some of the best available for tying soft hackles, especially their JV Hen skins. Lots of nice small, soft hackles. Take a look at these two links for more info:

https://clearwaterhackle.wordpress.com/about/

http://www.clearwaterhackle.com

Bob
joaniebo

Postby WiFlyfisher » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:04 am

joaniebo wrote:John

Other than a bunch of hackles that I bought from Conranch Hackles virtually all the other hen hackles that I have came from Dave Roberts of Feathers Emporium in Madison, WI. I've visited Dave's home several times and you wouldn't believe his stock of hackles. I literally mean his entire basement, from floor to ceiling, has shelves of Rubbermaid boxes filled with bird skins.

By the way, I always thought that Conranch Hackles were some of the best available for tying soft hackles, especially their JV Hen skins. Lots of nice small, soft hackles. Take a look at these two links for more info:

https://clearwaterhackle.wordpress.com/about/

http://www.clearwaterhackle.com

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the links... although most say "Out of Stock".

I have been to Dave's house several times too and I have a lot of hackle from him - mainly his Darbee capes.

If you go to the Badger FF Opener in February maybe I will see you there.
WiFlyfisher

Postby Smuggler » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 pm

I've noticed "Coachman Brown" in the past 10 years or so has fallen out of favor for one reason or another... It's a very nice shade of brown with it's rich, dark brown and hues of red. I have a Whiting Herbert Miner cock ape in Coachman Brown and very rarely find a need for using it... maybe for throats on wet flies and such but, nothing more than that.

Then again, I don't find myself very often fishing dries. ;)
Smuggler

Postby WiFlyfisher » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:24 pm

Smuggler wrote:I've noticed "Coachman Brown" in the past 10 years or so has fallen out of favor for one reason or another... It's a very nice shade of brown with it's rich, dark brown and hues of red. I have a Whiting Herbert Miner cock ape in Coachman Brown and very rarely find a need for using it... maybe for throats on wet flies and such but, nothing more than that.

Then again, I don't find myself very often fishing dries. ;)

Eric, each to their own. IMHO, Coachman Brown is a classic fly tying hackle color I grew up with. It is a classy color and I find is very relevant to several classic patterns as well as some of the Midwest mayfly nymphs of northern Wisconsin's freestone trout streams. I have several Coachman Brown rooster capes but not any quality hen capes anymore.

I cannot imagine tying a Royal Trude with anything but a Coarchman Brown hackle.

WiFlyfisher

Postby letumgo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 am

John,

Wow...that is a gorgeous fly! Classy!

PS - Your photo looks like a book cover. ;)
letumgo
Site Admin

Postby narcodog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:37 am

Ray, don't encourage the cheesehead. He is still recovering from the Packers getting their curds handed to them. :lol:
narcodog

Next

Return to Tying Wingless Wets