Coachman Brown Hen Capes

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jerry G

Re: Coachman Brown Hen Capes

Post by Jerry G » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

I have had only one experience with Coachman Brown in feathers. Well actually it was a friend who several years ago asked a fly shop owner at a show if he had any rooster capes in Coachman Brown. The answer was to try Clairol. This got a chuckle out of the owners help but did little to amuse my friend. I have to wonder if we haven't been sort of programmed to accept the red brown capes and saddles as close enough.
swellcat

Re: Brown and Down

Post by swellcat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:45 am

I'd urge you to think beyond the arbitrary, restrictive limitations of what Corporate America chooses to offer. Dyeing feathers yourself—perhaps even with natural, non-commercial dye sources—is an option, but, just yesterday, I skinned a ring-necked drake; his feathers run from black to white, with lots of dark-brown and even brown/mottled feathers in soft-hackle sizes on his neck.

The feathers are out there.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 am

John

Other than a bunch of hackles that I bought from Conranch Hackles virtually all the other hen hackles that I have came from Dave Roberts of Feathers Emporium in Madison, WI. I've visited Dave's home several times and you wouldn't believe his stock of hackles. I literally mean his entire basement, from floor to ceiling, has shelves of Rubbermaid boxes filled with bird skins.

By the way, I always thought that Conranch Hackles were some of the best available for tying soft hackles, especially their JV Hen skins. Lots of nice small, soft hackles. Take a look at these two links for more info:

https://clearwaterhackle.wordpress.com/about/

http://www.clearwaterhackle.com

Bob
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 pm

I've noticed "Coachman Brown" in the past 10 years or so has fallen out of favor for one reason or another... It's a very nice shade of brown with it's rich, dark brown and hues of red. I have a Whiting Herbert Miner cock ape in Coachman Brown and very rarely find a need for using it... maybe for throats on wet flies and such but, nothing more than that.

Then again, I don't find myself very often fishing dries. ;)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 am

John,

Wow...that is a gorgeous fly! Classy!

PS - Your photo looks like a book cover. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:37 am

Ray, don't encourage the cheesehead. He is still recovering from the Packers getting their curds handed to them. :lol:
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."