Your favorite hook

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Bazzer69

Your favorite hook

Post by Bazzer69 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:14 am

I am wondering what is your favorite hook for soft hackle nymphs and why? I am interested in both eyed hooks and a few blind eyed hooks tied to gut. At the moment I'm in favor of older style Hardy hooks with the Kirby bend
Thanks
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Premerger

Re: Your favorite hook

Post by Premerger » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:01 am

Hi Barry, from a non-traditional view, I'm liking the Kamasan B170.
It is a lighter wire than some hooks but strong and reliable.
I like the length of the shank for tying wingless wets.
How hard can it be?
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:45 pm

Bazzer69 wrote:I am wondering what is your favorite hook for soft hackle nymphs and why? I am interested in both eyed hooks and a few blind eyed hooks tied to gut. At the moment I'm in favor of older style Hardy hooks with the Kirby bend
Thanks
Barry
For fishing or tying? You've picked a dandy with those Hardy Kirby bends.

If I had to pick one for the two aspects, I would say;
Fishing: Fulling Mill Ultimate Dry barbless.
Tying: Sprites Don Walker ring eye hooks.

I've never found any blind eye hooks for trout flies but, that's intriguing! The hunt begins.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:12 pm

Barry, welcome. It's a good question and I wish I had an elegant response, but I don't. My tying in recent years has been more hatch specific and my hook selection varies based on all the factors you might expect, shank length, gape size and wire gauge. It doesn't help having sonmany excellent hooks to choose from. I still favor the daiichi 1530 and 1550 models. If I were forced to choose. The Fulling Mills Ultimate Dry Barbless is a beautiful hook and scary sharp. When you land on one you favor I hope you'll let us know.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:11 am

I like to tie a nice looking fly, but fishing with a good chance is more important to me. I am keen to try try blind eye hooks just for fun. I am busy tying some dries at the moment, but as soon as I get some decent hooks for flymph's and soft hackle's I'm going to tie a bunch
Happy New Year to everyone!
Let's hope there is more peace in 2017 and more fish!
Barry
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:51 am

I have a lot of favorites for soft hackles. They are selected based on the presentation of the fly. I have a favorite for spiders that I want very near the top, a favorite for those mid column and those a bit deeper. You really can't stick to just one type for productive purposeful fishing. For what I would consider a soft hackle nymph, which is a wingless wet designed to fish deeper than most emerged or spider patterns, I prefer the Mustad S80 and S82's. they hook well, are strong and sink the fly readily. The S82 for those with a longer profile and the S80 for those species that are short and stout.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Barry

I'm with Bill in that almost all the soft hackle dressings I tie, I use the Daiichi 1550 or 1530 hooks. I also like the old Partrridge Caps. Hamilton hooks that I've purchased from Richard Jefferies (he now lives in France).

Bob
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 pm

I've actually ordered some hooks from Richard thanks. I would have them in a few days.
Barry
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:49 am

Barry

Ordered a bunch of the old Partridge hooks from Richard and received them a few days ago, just a week or so after I placed the order. There's something special in tying the old dressings on the old Partridge hooks.

Bob