Good source for soft hackle materials

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Bazzer69

Good source for soft hackle materials

Post by Bazzer69 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Just a heads up, http://www.lathkill.com has a good selection of materials for soft hackles, Snipe, Woodcock etc. all eurobirds as called for in most classic patterns. I've just received some hard to find Snipe rump feathers of excellent quality. They do not have any Plover, so my quest for those goes on. I have some Golden Plover but it's not of the best quality.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Good source for soft hackle materials

Post by letumgo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:03 am

Thanks for the link, and the tip. Nice discovery. That is a new source for me, so I've bookmarked them for future reference.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:39 am

I have been using them for many years easy folks to work with.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:16 am

For quite a few years, a friend in Europe used to send me soft hackle materials he purchased from Ellis Slater, who, unfortunately has since passed away. So, several years ago, I started ordering materials directly from Cookshill in the UK sending Steve Cooper a list of what I wanted and then paying via PayPal when he put together a shipment. Cookshill / Steve have provided me some hard-to-find materials and always of great quality. Additionally, from time of shipment to delivery really hasn't taken that long, considering the distance involved (7 - 10 days).
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 pm

joaniebo wrote:For quite a few years, a friend in Europe used to send me soft hackle materials he purchased from Ellis Slater, who, unfortunately has since passed away. So, several years ago, I started ordering materials directly from Cookshill in the UK sending Steve Cooper a list of what I wanted and then paying via PayPal when he put together a shipment. Cookshill / Steve have provided me some hard-to-find materials and always of great quality. Additionally, from time of shipment to delivery really hasn't taken that long, considering the distance involved (7 - 10 days).
I actually have already bought several items from Steve, but alas the Plover evades me. His waiting list is 120 and he have just received about a dozen! But there is always hope. I used all the feathers you kindly sent me so many thanks. I'm actually having a tough time getting a decent Partridge skin, so I might order one from Steve.
Thanks
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 am

Bazzer69 wrote:
joaniebo wrote:For quite a few years, a friend in Europe used to send me soft hackle materials he purchased from Ellis Slater, who, unfortunately has since passed away. So, several years ago, I started ordering materials directly from Cookshill in the UK sending Steve Cooper a list of what I wanted and then paying via PayPal when he put together a shipment. Cookshill / Steve have provided me some hard-to-find materials and always of great quality. Additionally, from time of shipment to delivery really hasn't taken that long, considering the distance involved (7 - 10 days).
I actually have already bought several items from Steve, but alas the Plover evades me. His waiting list is 120 and he have just received about a dozen! But there is always hope. I used all the feathers you kindly sent me so many thanks. I'm actually having a tough time getting a decent Partridge skin, so I might order one from Steve.
Thanks
Barry
If you do order a partridge from Steve also order an English grouse. I prefer that over partridge because of the darker color. He also has hen and poult which some spiders call for.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:50 am

Bob

I also like the English Red Grouse and have several sets of English Red Grouse and Woodcock wings that I obtained from either Ellis Slater and / or Steve Cooper (Cookshill). For the past several years, I've been getting my Partridge skins from an Orvis store (I know the manager). He orders several full partridge skins from the Orvis warehouse and specifies that the heads or necks have to be on the skins. In that way, I can get some very nice (and small) hackles for smaller dressings. (I sent the same info to Barry - maybe a nearby Orvis store might be able to help him).

Years ago, my friend in Europe was able to get some dyed starling wings from Ellis Slater that were dyed to be subs for Blackbird and Dotterell (both in yellowish and orangish colors). Haven't seen anything like these starling subs since then (I haven't looked much for them), although other companies might still offer them.

Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

joaniebo wrote:and specifies that the heads or necks have to be on the skins. In that way, I can get some very nice (and small) hackles for smaller dressings.
That is a great tip! Thank you. The neck feathers tend to be the first ones I use up.

joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:57 am

Ray

In the past year or so, I've probably given away at least 8 - 10 partridge skins that had bare spots near the neck and the rest of the skin was intact.

Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:10 pm

I have a few partridge skins like that, and I keep whittling away at them. They are just such useful feathers. ;)