What's your favorite hook?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Re: What's your favorite hook?

Postby Bazzer69 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Ruard wrote:Hi Hank,

I never heathen the point of the hook, only the eye to prevent it from braking when i make the hook eye straight to the hook.

If you press down the point of the hook, you must not held the hook and the pair of tongs square of each other but on one line so you can press the barb down without breaking the point.

Greeting

Ruard

Yep, I’ve mashed down thousands of barbs in my twenty three years of guiding. I’ve never had a problem before the old Partridge Captain Hamilton hooks. Mine are just plain brittle, a result of over tempering I imagine. I did once have a batch of cheap hooks breaking, after that all my flies were tied with high quality hooks. Incidentally, most commercially tied flies are constructed on cheap hooks. No also test a few hooks to the point of destruction. Most bend and twist and never break. Not so with the old hooks. Still, most of my soft hackle fishing is for smaller fish and hook strength is not a issue
Thanks
Barry
Bazzer69

Re: What's your favorite hook?

Postby Bazzer69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Along with my dodgy old Hardy Capt. Hamilton’s I have purchased the new Partridge Spider hooks which have a Hamilton’s bend and slightly shorter in the shank. They are great! Did I also mention they are straight eyed? Looks like I’ll be tying on these for a while.
Barry
Bazzer69

Previous

Return to Tying Wingless Wets