Semperfli pure silk... Very photo heavy ;)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Re: Semperfli pure silk... Very photo heavy ;)

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:33 am

Even considering the extra fussing around and inevitable loss of some material, thinning the Sermperfli silk down to two strands looks to be a worthwhile effort, Karsten, especially if Pearsall's Gossamer is not available to a tyer. Wetting it results in a more yellow shade than what #3 Gossamer produces, but the translucence is very nice. As with Gossamer (and other twisted threads for that matter), twisting the thread more tightly as one wraps it will result in a smaller round diameter with a more corded appearance. Conversely, untwisting it will flatten it out and fuzz it up a bit.

Thanks again, Karsten, for taking the time to explore this subject a bit. The effects you have created and illustrated so effectively with your camera are most helpful to others seeking to expand their techniques and skills.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 am

Hi Karsten,
I agree with Bill.
Since you are connected to the company now, are you in a position to make inquiries about the silk producer? On behalf of fly tiers around the world, could you ask if they have plans to manufacture the silk thread in other thicknesses? The market for silk fly-tying thread is so small that they probably would be unable to justify broadening their selection. But we can dream. I hope they realize how lucky they are to have you helping them.
Lance
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks for taking the time Bill and for giving me a prod to give the thinning down method another go.
I also think it's a worthwhile option if pearsalls isn't accessible. I agree about the shade and think that the pearsalls spool in the photo next to the pure silk spool might be yellow not primrose (my bad) I always get pearsalls colours confused as they aren't labeled :oops: One thing I had considered but not investigated is chopping the sacrificial strand up and using it as a silk dubbing, will give it a go and report back.

Lance
I'll definitely ask the questions and make the enquiries but think you're probably right re the market and viability. Time will tell...
As to being connected to the company, I play a very small part, getting to tie and experiment with some Semperfli materials, amongst a team of great tiers and to share some of my miscreants with the world.
This post was a bit of homework done for my friends on this forum, after hearing pearsalls was no longer in Jim's post and the mention of the Semperfli pure silk as a possible alternative, I thought I'd pull my finger out and give people a clear low down of what the material is like to use through my eyes, warts n all. I think that a lot of you know me well enough to know that I'm not doing this as a blatant plug. Thanks for checking in folks and for your thoughts and feedback. I've been absent for a while so this was a small contribution from an old friend...
K
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:04 am

Don't stay away so long, Karsten ;) .
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 am

Karsten,
Your observations and explorations regarding vanishing silk supplies is of great interest here. Your pushing the envelope to see what can be done with the heavier, buttonhole-twist weight of silk shows your creativity and skill, and understanding of the tradition. So, no worries. I don't see how anyone could possibly see your posts as being inappropriate—and I didn't mean to suggest that. I have always been in awe of your skills both in tying and photography, so anything you post is welcome by me, Karsten.
Lance
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank u Lance for your reply and I certainly didn't think/feel you implied anything with your prior post.
My last paragraph was intended for the benefit of members that don't know me as well as you and my other close friends on this forum. I should have been clearer about that, sorry.
I always value your input, insights and contributions Lance and hold you and your work in the highest regard.