Yorkshire Trout Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Johnno

Re: Yorkshire Trout Flies

Post by Johnno » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 pm

I think a "1" equates to about a 14 or 15.

You've got to remember test back in the day Tyers didn't have the luxury of a lot of hackles to chose from, they just used what they had. I don't think that proportion (to some extent) would have overly mattered to them. A longer hackle invites better movement and profile. Certainly a lot of the 19th and early 20th century wets and soft hackles I have sport long hackles. To be fair there are some with shorter hackles too....
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 am

WiFlyfisher, Howdy;

I would presume that the older artists only showed the hackle above and below
the body was so the reader could see the body and understood that the hackle
was wrapped all the way around. However one always has the option of plucking
the fibers from the sides to match the image ... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:20 am

As far as I know there was at least two schools regarding how to wrap the hackle, in-the-round or-over-and under. The proponents of the latter argued 'wings above and legs below'. Both ways work.
I suppose authors were happy to be able to include illustrations and accepted some artistic liberty.
Conclusion; who knows.

Seems as if really sparsely tied flies are modern creatures on eyed hooks. Ancient flies (before 1991) were mostly tied with fuller hackles in the round.

dd
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:47 am

In his book "A Handbook of North Country Trout Flies" Roger Fogg has a section on winged flies. In the case where the wing and the legs are differents colors; he shows the legs being put on as a beard hackle.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:39 pm

William Hastie Lawrie also used different hackle for legs and wings for some of his patterns. Some of us are more lazy and the fish aren't always picky.

dd
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:58 pm

No. 20 Little Dark Watchet would be a good example.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:40 pm

wsbailey wrote:No. 20 Little Dark Watchet would be a good example.
What are you referring when you mean a "good example" ("over and under wings" or "ribs" or lack of apparent ribs by being a dubbed body)?

The 18 and 19 LDW are essentially"ribbed", by using two different colors of thread, and the text says so.
Bob
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Pritt's No. 20 is a good example where the wings and legs would have to put on separately, especially if you used the calf's hair.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:01 pm

wsbailey wrote:Pritt's No. 20 is a good example where the wings and legs would have to put on separately, especially if you used the calf's hair.
Thanks. Yes, clearly.

The thread seems to have two topics going and it's getting a bit hard for me to follow.
Bob
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote:In Mary Orvis Marbury's book "Favorite Flies and Their History" the hackles are never that long. The artist also tried to show the hackle is wrapped completely around the hook in the colored plates in Marbury's book. I do realize that her book contains only American patterns but they were influenced by fly patterns from across the ocean.
------------------
I hope to attend the Badger Show again to see you, Henry and some others. When is it next year?
John,
The Badger show is Feb. 10 (http://badgerflyfishers.com/?page_id=9). If possible, allow sufficient time for post-game beers at the local brewery.

Thaddeus Norris ("Uncle Thad") had a big influence on American wet flies. His 1864 book The American Angler's Book was very influential. It was encyclopedic and (I think) the first American book on how to tie flies. Even the great Theodore Gordon learned to tie flies from Norris' book. Norris references English authors such as Hofland, Chitty, and Ronalds extensively and presents dozens of their fly recipes for winged and wingless wet flies. He advocated hackle whose length is more in proportion to modern standards. From his book: "The fibers of the hackle, therefore, while they may reach the bottom of the hook, should never extend much, if at all, below it."