Golden Plover

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Golden Plover

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:43 pm

joaniebo wrote:dd

For me, the search to to use, and then dress the old fly patterns, is as much fun as tying and fishing the old dressings and it can REALLY become addictive as some of you know.

Cheers

Bob
I know what you mean, Bob, I really do!

dd
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I did find a full golden plover skin on ebay but fell asleep and was outbid when the auction closed last night. The winning bid was $83.50, about $8 higher than my max bid. Does that price seem reasonable? I will get on the waiting list at Cookshill as suggested and see what happens. It is not like I have a limited selection and supply of soft-hackles to fish but I have the tendency to try and tie some of the older patterns with the original materials if at all possible. I have never used golden plover and was just so impressed with the samples presented on this forum.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Personally, I wouldn't pay $83.50 for a Golden Plover skin, especially if I didn't know the supplier and the quality of the supplier's materials. As I may have mentioned, although I do have a full Golden Plover skin (sent to me by mistake), I also have Golden Plover wings from where I usually get the hackles I need. I like the materials for doing the old dressings but some things that cost too much aren't worth (for me) getting.
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 pm

I was able to purchase 20 golden plover feathers from UK on ebay and I requested to CookShill that I be added to their waiting list. Thanks again for the responses.