Waterhen and Bloah

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

upstatetrout

Waterhen and Bloah

Post by upstatetrout » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:41 pm

I have been informed that a Waterhen and Bloah is good for the Beaverkill.I know this water

Last edited by upstatetrout on Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Waterhen and Bloah

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Classic beauty. I’d fish that with full confidence. ;)

Is that an Alex Jackson hook? What size are you using?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:55 am

upstatetrout wrote:I have been informed that a Waterhen and Bloah is good for the Beaverkill.I know this water very well.

Tom

A well tied Waterhen Bloa is good most places Tom! I have had some nice Grayling over the winter on them here in Yorkshire. I would be happy to put yours on my top dropper :D

A quick tip: if fish are ignoring your fly but taking emergers or spent females, use a Waterhen Bloa with a small pearlescent tag. It has become a modern classic over here.

Alistair
'Most anglers spend their lives making rules for trout,
and trout spend theirs breaking them'
- George Aston
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 am

Thank you both for the comments I appreciate them.Criticism is necessay either positive or negative to achieve any kind of progress for any thing we try to accomplish.

Ray I tied that fly on a sz.13 Alec Jackson hook.

Alistair I hope to pick up some pearlescent tinsel this weekend.I will be attending the fly fishing show in
Atlanta then off to the White River in Arkansas.The Grannom fly should be starting in a couple of weeks.

Tom
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:59 am

Bishthefish1 wrote:
upstatetrout wrote:I have been informed that a Waterhen and Bloah is good for the Beaverkill.I know this water very well.

Tom

A well tied Waterhen Bloa is good most places Tom! I have had some nice Grayling over the winter on them here in Yorkshire. I would be happy to put yours on my top dropper :D

A quick tip: if fish are ignoring your fly but taking emergers or spent females, use a Waterhen Bloa with a small pearlescent tag. It has become a modern classic over here.

Alistair
Alistair, please don’t take offense, but a “modern classic” is that a contradiction in terms?
I’m not at all in agreement with adding any kind of synthetic materials to classic soft hackles. If you must ad a tag, why not use flat or oval silver tinsel? But saying it fishes better is usually in the anglers mind, not the fishes.
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

No offence taken Barry
For 'modern classic' read 'very popular'. It was first brought to the attention of UK fishers by a North Country angler/flytyer/guide/instructor by the name of Paul Proctor in one of his monthly columns in Trout & Salmon magazine back in 2012 or 2013 (If I remember right) and has been picked up by other North Country anglers that are way more proficient than me as a deadly variant of a classic fly. See comments by the angler himself.

https://www.fieldsportsmagazine.com/Tac ... flies.html

Thanks
Alistair
- George Aston
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm

Bishthefish1 wrote:No offence taken Barry
For 'modern classic' read 'very popular'. It was first brought to the attention of UK fishers by a North Country angler/flytyer/guide/instructor by the name of Paul Proctor in one of his monthly columns in Trout & Salmon magazine back in 2012 or 2013 (If I remember right) and has been picked up by other North Country anglers that are way more proficient than me as a deadly variant of a classic fly. See comments by the angler himself.

https://www.fieldsportsmagazine.com/Tac ... flies.html

Thanks
Alistair
Deadly or not, it’s not a classic. As I wrote it would be more acceptable if French tinsel was used.
I would hate this forum to go the way of other forums where modern synthetic materials are used proclaiming they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I would put the skill of the fisherman way above the use of a bit of crystal flash.
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:11 pm

Personally, I use natural materials probably 95% of the time in my tying. But, IMO, a fisherman who refuses to integrate anything synthetic simply because it is not natural is not only limiting his range of tying, but also handicapping himself on the water. Just sayin' ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Bishthefish1

Post by Bishthefish1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:34 pm

Surely even tinsel would have been considered a modern synthetic once? But it was fully embraced by the old timers (even here in Yorkshire). As an angler on those same streams as the founders of the North Country Spiders I am a big advocate of traditional and natural materials but I am not adverse to incorporating a synthetic material in my flies if it can improve my catch rate, after all confidence in ones patterns is away of breeding success.
- George Aston
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Well put!!!!! Alistair.

Tom