Vintage Sneck Hook

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Vintage Sneck Hook

Post by tie2fish » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:20 pm

I located some vintage Size #16 Mustad 3354 hooks on eBay that I thought might serve well for tying traditional spiders. The first photo below is intended to show off the hook, while the second provides a revealing comparison of its physical size with that of two others with which we are more familiar. A different numbering system perhaps?

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Re: Vintage Sneck Hook

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Bill!
The vintage Mustads #3354's that's you acquired are great! They look....very classic....dare I say, very old! The great one, G.E.M. Skues, was very fond of what he often called "Halls Snecky Limerick" hook (referring for Henry Sinclair Halls creations). From what limited photo's I've seen of Skues nymph patterns, your hook looks very much like Halls and thus your Partridge and Orange is perfect in that way!
Doug in the Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Nice find Bill, I'm always on the hunt for sneck hooks.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Sweet! The sneck hook gives the fly a vintage look.

Tied with your trademark precision. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 am

Very nice as usual, Bill !
I am very partial to the sneck model-Ted Patlen was kind enough to send me some beautiful vintage snecks, which I’m working with right now.
For any of those who are interested, R. M. Jefferies over in Scotland has some very nice vintage Partridge snecks - The model is not listed on his website, but if you ask him for the Darrell Martin smut hook (Which incidentally used to be called the Skues nymph sneck- thank you bearbut!!), he will send you some very lovely vintage iron. :D
Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue May 01, 2018 4:42 pm

I recently bought some of the same Mustad 3354. I was also a bit surprised at the size. I have some of the down-eyed Pennel sneck hooks that Skues mentioned. When I get a chance I'll take a comparison photo.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm still trying to find the package Pennel sneck hooks. I have too much stuff.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 am

wsbailey, Howdy;
wsbailey wrote:I'm still trying to find the package Pennel sneck hooks. I have too much stuff.
Bill, you remind me of the glass 1/2 full / 1/2 empty quandary ... to which the answer belongs to an
engineer, You just have the wrong container. In your case insufficient storage space :roll: , :lol: , :lol: .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 am

Hank,
You hit the nail on the head! It must be a law of the universe that no matter how much space you have, you eventually fill it.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 am

wsbailey wrote:Hank,
You hit the nail on the head! It must be a law of the universe that no matter how much space you have, you eventually fill it.
"Nature abhors a vacuum."

BTW, Theroe showed up for the weekend in Roscoe with Sizes #12 and #14 of this Mustad 3354 sneck hook (along with some other vintage irons) for the rest of us. Many thanks, Dana!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"