Bobbin Holder Question and Vintage wax

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Bobbin Holder Question and Vintage wax

Post by Old Hat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:58 am

Going through old stuff.

Going through some old vises I have. In one of the boxes was this wax and bobbin holder. The wax was hard as a rock. I've had it probably 20+ years and never used it. Figured it was bad. Looks like it was for waxing large quantities of thread by the instructions on the tin. Anyway, Bob and William said to try melt it down in a double boiler. I did and it melted right down and looks great! It was actually still a little soft on the inside of a hard crust before I put it in there. Pretty amazing really. I have no idea but guess it is probably 40+ years old.

Question though, anyone have any info on this type bobbin holder?
ReducedIMG_2279.JPG
ReducedIMG_2279.JPG (244.52 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
ReducedIMG_2281.JPG
ReducedIMG_2281.JPG (281.2 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
ReducedIMG_2283.JPG
ReducedIMG_2283.JPG (248 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Bobbin Holder Question and Vintage wax

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:27 am

Bobbin holder looks like an early Nor-Bobbin from Nor-Vise. Looks exactly like my newer ones, without the clutch assembly, The newer ones also have a longer, ceramic tube.

Nice finds.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:45 am

another memory lane walk for me here.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:53 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:27 am Bobbin holder looks like an early Nor-Bobbin from Nor-Vise. Looks exactly like my newer ones, without the clutch assembly, The newer ones also have a longer, ceramic tube.

Nice finds.
Interesting. It does look like it might fit the spools.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Carl, Here's a couple of newer models with the ceramic tubes. Might be blurry, didn't use a tripod.
Attachments
DSCN2222.JPG
DSCN2222.JPG (297.6 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:41 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:28 pm Carl, Here's a couple of newer models with the ceramic tubes. Might be blurry, didn't use a tripod.
Thanks Ron for the lead. It was confirmed the bobbin holder is a first edition Norvise bobbin holder.
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 am

I have some Thompson's wax that I've had since the 60's which is now hard as a rock. Did you add anything to when you melted it? I was thinking maybe it needed a few drops of oil.
Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Nope nothing. I had a tuna sandwich. Placed the the tin of wax in the tuna can and floated it in a pot of water which I brought to a very low boil. I used a toothpick to stir it some as it melted.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:11 pm

Carl,
This is just awesome to view! I have some of Bill Shucks tying wax from several years ago! It needs a "melt down" once in a while to keep it somewhat softer and usable! It's interesting that the Thompson wax you show is a rich, rusty red color! That has some great possibilities!
Thanks for sharing this process with us Carl! Our Forum is sooo interesting!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 am

Leisenring’s recipe for wax called for the palest, hardest rosin. Darker grades of rosin are softer. The Thompson wax looks like a softer grade of rosin was used.