a Trout Nightmare

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

a Trout Nightmare

Post by Roadkill » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:58 am

If you live in a state where night fishing for trout is legal, I suggest you give luminescent beads a try... ;)

ImageRIMG3788 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Hook-Mustad 9672 #4
Thread- UTC 140 FL Chartreuse
Tail & Under Hackle- Pearl Krystal Flash
Body-Black Peacock Ice Dub
Counter Rib-MD Silver Ultra Wire
Bead-6mm Lumo Bead
Hackle-Black Whiting American Hen

Charged up with a Black Light flashlight...
ImageRIMG3791 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

the strikes can be amazing! :shock:
Partsman

Re: a Trout Nightmare

Post by Partsman » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 pm

Hmm, something to think for my waters here in Michigan. Our two most famous night time hatches the brown drake and hex, and spend a lot of time fishing both. I need to incorporate something like these as my eye sight slowly fades.
Mike.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:07 pm

Those lumo beads take me back in time. There used to be a handful of old French dudes up here who only ice fished. All they wanted was big cusk, nothing else. They'd fill an onion bag with a couple cans of cat and/or dog food with holes punched in the top and bottoms, and then in another onion bag, a couple of activated green glow sticks.

The pointy end of a second line held what appeared to be rotten chicken. Give the whole mess a couple of hours to gain traction down on the bottom and they'd haul in 10lb. cusk, one after the other. If they managed to hook a togue, they threw it back. The whole contraption was controlled by a length of mono, which could easily be cut should a game warden appear on the horizon. When asked if it was the chum or the glow stick that attracted the fish, the old French dudes would only shrug and say, "Who can say?" (I assume that was what they meant, since we couldn't understand a word they said).

My grandfather did much the same, but instead of store bought cat food, he'd use parts of whatever animal he'd just poached; moose, deer, bear...

*sigh* Now I want to tie up some bottom dwelling togue flies with lumo beads.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am

Holy smokes it took forever to log in.

I do a little night time , lake fishing when the mosquitos allow. I am very interested in in the Lumo beads.

I have a lot of luminescent thread. Would it be possible to use this with or instead of the beads to achieve similar results?
Excellent fly pattern, Bill.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm

DUBBN wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am Holy smokes it took forever to log in. .
Same here!! :roll:

DUBBN,

I see no problem using luminescent thread!
Thanks for the :idea: I like it so much I now have a lifetime supply of 7 colors of it on the way. ;)

I see myself testing Luminescent Flymphs and soft hackles against the old favorites, especially on cloudy days and fishing the surface near dusk.