Ginger Tups Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Ginger Tups Flymph

Post by Old Hat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks Ray, that doesn't look too involved. Picture looks great.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 pm

A few extra photos to document some minor modification. I started playing around with using hen saddle hackle, instead of hen neck feathers. The feathers are softer and more webby, which seems to suit this style a little better. The blunt shape of the feather (significant taper) creates a more pronounced taper of the body hackle). I really like the resulting profile (long hackles in front and tapering to shorter fibers down the length of the fly). The color of the hackle is also more muted (less of the honey colored highlights at the end of the feather - but still a bit of warm tan). The modified version is tyed on a Daiichi Model 1710/Size 14.

Photo showing a spool of Pearsall's Gossomer - Finished fly and hen saddle feather (nice blunt feather with a pronounced taper)
Close-up view of the region of the hen saddle I used for the modified version (feathers were taken from the region "south-east" of the spool)

Additional notes on the hackle:
In the end, I was happiest with flies that had two wraps of hackle at the eye of the hook and three spiraling wraps thru the thorax. This seemed to give the best balance of the amount of hackle, yet allow the thorax to show thru.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Ray, these pics are fantastic. That fly shot is actually much more descriptive than the original in my opinion. The hackle shots help as well. Great post.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tjd

Post by tjd » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Ray,

Nice looking fly, description, and technique-as always!

Well done...

Tim
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 am

You really are starting 2013 in great style Ray.
Loads of good info in this thread. 10/10. ;)
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/