Picric Irish May

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Picric Irish May

Post by tie2fish » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Other picric-dyed materials received from narcodog (thanks again, Bob) led me to a soft hackled pattern tied in the style of an Irish mayfly ...

Hook: Daiichi 1530, Size #8
Thread: Griffith's Sheer, 14/0, amber
Rib: Oval gold tinsel, small
Tail: Three barbs from pheasant tail dyed yellow
Body: Picric-dyed goose secondary barbs as herl
Body Hackle: Barred ginger palmered front to back
Collar hackle: Picric-dyed French partridge flank

Last edited by tie2fish on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gig

Re: Picric Irish May

Post by gig » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:17 pm

A lovely fly and beautifully tied :)
Life is good, why waste it.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 pm

WOW, if a fish turns that down, he would be blind as a bat. That fly is stunning. :D
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:55 am

Bill, this really is exceptional. The construction required to produce this is just masterful and a joy to see. I wish I knew more about these flies and their presentation. I haven't read much on the Irish methods of presenting these larger, fuller loch flies, but I know when I see one well done it is impressive. Kudos, Narco and a very nicely conceived pattern, Bill.

Can someone comment on the presentation of these flies that determined the nature of their construction? Thanks.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Very nice, not an easy style to master and you have done so well.
The Irish Mayflies can be some of the prettiest flies to look upon when tied well. I enjoyed this one. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 am

William, one method I have have heard of is dapping the 10 lb. chop. (10 lb. chop is my input.) The 10lb chop is that time on the stillwater when the wind blows and creates just enough chop on the water that the big (10lb.'ers) fish are comfortable coming up closer to the surface. These flies are fished from a very long rod (15ft or so) rigged with a light bulky floss line and short leader from a boat. As the boat drifts the rod is held high and manipulated as the wind catches the line and casts it carrying the fly across the waters surface skipping and dropping about. Dapping the 10lb. chop. :D The construction of the fly allows it to achieve the skipping, dropping, skipping, skating presentations needed as well as better carried by the wind. Great technique really. Don't fight the wind, use to your advantage and create a fly that best suites your method of presentation. I think they use live mayflies as bait as well with this technique. I have tried it a few times with flies on Oregon's Crane Prairie Reservoir. A reservoir famous for football shaped trout and wind. Lots of great water and the Deschutes River cuts a channel through the middle of the reservoir. I have caught some fish with it but not much, of course I don't think I had a long enough rod or the right line to really work it right.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:57 am

Great fly pattern Bill and a handsome one at that. There is a French Mayfly Dry style that is very similar to this and uses the chukar (french partridge) hackle but with a bit longer hackle. The body hackle along with the long partridge hackle keep the fly up. The body hackle works like you would expect but the front hackle is meant to spread out along the waters surface helping to keep the fly afloat.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 am

Very informative post, Carl. It makes perfect sense after your description of the dapping technique.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Dapping the 10 lb. chop...I didn't see that coming, but then I wasn't sure what to expect. Thanks. I'm sure I've tried this presentation in miniature on some of our mountain streams. Feels like cheating, but it's fun. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:44 am

Fantastic fly Bill! ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean