Pete's Iron Grey Dun

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Pete's Iron Grey Dun

Post by tie2fish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 am

Gingerdun's posting of the Angler's Club Bulletin article provided me with an attractive alternate to tying/posting more spider patterns, and I've been working on trying to learn some of the subtleties of Pete Hidy's tying techniques. What I've learned so far is that despite numerous attempts, even incorporating advice and opinions from Lance along the way, the flies I tie using Pete's recipes end up looking like they were tied by me. Here is an example (please note that have substituted Iron Dun hen saddle for the starling called out in the published recipe; after sorting through six starling pelts, I was unable to locate a feather having suitable length barbs and color):

This photo has been lost.
Last edited by tie2fish on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
gig

Re: Pete's Iron Grey Dun

Post by gig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Looks good to me :)
Life is good, why waste it.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:44 pm

tie2fish, Howdy;

Bill, far and away better than my feeble efforts 8-) .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:02 am

Bill, you really were able to create an effect that isn't Shuckish, and is truly Hidiesque. You really nailed the details and the iron looks spot on. Not surprised, but quite impressed. I'm going to follow your lead. Thanks.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:58 am

Hi Bill,

Really nice Iron Blue Dun and indeed I think you are right there is something Shuckisch (thanks William) in this fly and I like that. I think it is allright if you can see in the tying and the presentation of the fly who the tier was and with the pictures of your flies I always know yes taht is one of Bill. Then is there also the meories of those days that I was in America with you and the other people of the forum.

greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:25 am

"the flies I tie using Pete's recipes end up looking like they were tied by me"

Ain't nuthin wrong with that Bill! You be styling!

I've found the same thing, when I tye other peoples patterns. I think some of the subtle differences in techniques/tying methods and simply how the material is wrapped/handled, can make a difference in the appearance of a fly. Our difference end up being almost a signature of a persons style. Hard to duplicate identically, but still fun to try.

Wonderful fly, by the way.

I also found your comment about the multiple starling skins interesting. I too, have found a great deal of variability in the hackle feathers on a the starling skins I own. Some of the ones I've ordered on line, have longer more slender feathers. When I have had the opportunity to hand pick the starling skins, I tend to favor the ones with broader feathers (more rounded and wider feathers on the back). These feathers have longer hackle fibers and are more useful in the larger hook sizes (10's to 14's). The long slender feathers are nicer for the little stuff (hook sizes 16's and smaller).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Bill, this is a wonderfully tied pattern. I tried this pattern a good while back. My fly did not compare to your fly at all. You did a beautiful job on this lovely pattern. Sometimes no matter what we do, we have a hard time imitating other people's work. I think having your own style, or flair, is what makes you stand out. Your own personality comes out in each fly. I don't consider it a bad thing at all. I think it is a very good thing. In some circles it is very desired to have your own look to a fly. :D