The Dove

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Re: The Dove

Post by Smuggler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 pm

http://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ove#p49460

I think this is the thread in question. I can tell you the body plumage is awfully brittle on doves. The coverts haven't misbehaved as of yet, lol. I can't say anything about pigeons.
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:15 pm

---
The epistle of dismissal I'm thinking of is this:
Many bird feathers, notably Pigeon and Dove feathers among others, would seem at first glance to be ideal for fly dressing, coming as they do in a wide range of attractive colours and sizes, even metallic glints are common, excellent for imitating some insects. Strangely enough most old time dressers gave these feathers a wide berth, maintaining that they were "dry" lifeless and dull.

There are hardly any patterns using these feathers, even though they were widely available and easy to obtain at the time, quite the reverse of some of the feathers actually used. It is highly unlikely that this was done without good reason, when one considers the trouble many went to in choosing feathers for dressing their flies. This is probably another reason why hen hackles are not as good either. The same is true of most of the furs used, water rat, shrew and several other animals were used because the fur is naturally waterproof when untreated. This bears thinking about when substituting materials. While we may not always know exactly why some materials are better than others, we may rest assured that these flies are sometimes the result of years of experimentation and research, and it would be foolish to take this lightly . . .
— MC in "Fly Styles"
Adhering to a narrow set of canonical tying materials from say, 1920s northern England is one way to approach tying and fishing, but it may not be the most useful way, especially for someone tying and angling in southern Oklahoma, southern Ontario, or southern Southland. I'm glad the OP had the gumption to give dove a chance to shine.
-----
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:03 pm

That's a pattern I'd use straight away.
Very nice, thanks for posting.
How hard can it be?
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone, very encouraging.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Very cool pattern, and great use of material!
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:38 am

Really like the color of that dove hackle -- 'looks-like-everything-dun'. Inspired now to tie something with the mummified mountain bluebird I found in the barn.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:22 am

Eric,
This pattern looks excellent! Very "spidery" in the W.C. Stewart tradition. I find your comments on the use of dove very interesting esp. about the individual barbs and their characteristics. I have often wondered about this bird and it's usefulness as they scoot off the road ahead of my vehicle. Have you tried other feathers from the bird besides wing coverts?
You have inspired me Eric! I think I will break out the shotgun, the #8's, and a 5 gallon bucket (to sit on of course) and try some pass shooting next to our neighbors corn field. That is great sport by the way but I don't care much for them as a dish. The doves that is, not the corn! I like corn.
Doves Den
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:35 am

Sounds like a good time Doug. I love sitting out for doves on a warm autumn evening, right against a nice tree line.

As far as using other feathers, I haven't. I looked at the under coverts, they had some pretty stout feather stems so, I'd imagine they won't be too much of a hassle to toy around with. I'll mess around with the wings when I get home.
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 pm

. . . great sport by the way but I don't care much for them as a dish. The doves that is . . .
Dove tacos fixed that for me, upping the savory quotient considerably. (If you'd like ideas on method, speak up.)
---
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

I use Mourning Dove and like it. The coverts are definitely more durable than any body feathers. But the body feathers can be usable.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com