October Caddis Flymph in-hand

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: October Caddis Flymph in-hand

Post by willowhead » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:14 pm

That is a nice lookin' hook, but i like the looks of that Mustad 36890 better. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:20 pm

I like the 36890 as a hook (I just dont like the return as well) and don't want to take the time filing and customizing like you except for a blind eye. :D
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm

i c......tkx. for sharing. ;) .............WOW! i c ur in Oregon.......i was talkin' with Dave Whitlock the other night and he had some of the volumes of Lefty's Little Library with him for sale.......and i reminded him of the volume where they all sit around talkin' and one question Lefty poses is what state would each of them choose if they had to stay in that state forever and could never fish anywhere else.......and every single one of them choose Oregon. Your a fortunate man to live there. Sometimes i wish we had moved there instead of here.....but from here i can be back in N.Y. in under 72 hours.....way under if i push. i likes that. :D

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Willowhwad, Howdy;
Off topic I know, however, Bought a used boat in Mt. Home Ar. back in 2004. Drove from Albany, Oh. one day (12 hrs. just stopped for gas), bought the boat did some paperwork, stayed the night and back the next day. Could have made NYC in another 12 to 14 hours. Used to drive from Bentonvill, to Columbus, Oh. in just under 13 hrs.
We return you now to your regular programming...
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:38 am

Boy don't get me started.........N.Y.C. to Miami in 21 hrs.....N.Y.C. to Chicago in 18 hrs.....N.Y.C. to L.A. (trading off) in 51 hrs.....San Antonio to N.Y.C. in 31 hrs.....Dayton, Ohio to Houston, TX. in 13 hrs.....i've done Mt. Home to N.Y.C. or the other way around with just one sleep on the way plenty of times. i use to do things (drives) in my 20's, 30's, 40's AND 50's.....i would never attempt anymore. That time i did the drive from San Antonio to N.Y.C., i was commin' off two tours back to back with two different bands where i had driven 18K miles in 29 days. Left N.Y.C. with one band and worked our way to Calif. doin' mostly one nighters.....then when we got to Detroit workin' our way back, i had to go to the airport and get back to go out the next day with a different band, so they had to work the last gig and drive themselves back to N.Y.C. without me. i left the next day to start the second tour, and the last gig was in San Antonio. Not only that, we had worked in Houston the night before, and left after the gig to go to San Antonio with no sleep, and hit the night of the same day we got there. Then we slept, and went to N.Y.C. (31 hrs.) the next day and right into the studio when we got there. Litterally off the road and into the studio. When i got home after the date, i slept for 5 days.....only getting up to eat and go to the head. Aint no biz, like show biz.....and "aint no one monkey stops the show." ;)

Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:36 am

Verry well done, nice fly also.

What did you do with the tying thread when you have to put the fly on the table? There must be a moment that you must use both your hands to pick up some dubbing or a hackle.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:37 am

Ruard wrote:Verry well done, nice fly also.

What did you do with the tying thread when you have to put the fly on the table? There must be a moment that you must use both your hands to pick up some dubbing or a hackle.

Greeting
Actually I never had to put this fly down. As you already know preparation and thread tension are keys to how well your fly is tied. This is a simple beginner fly for tying in hand. I had prepared the hackle and the dubbing. Everyting for the fly is set in place before starting. The wire rib is stiff enough to stay in place. I could have thrown a couple of half hitches to hold the fly if I had to set it down, I actually did this just before the whip finish in case I lost the tension on my one handed whip fisnish.

But I had lots of help leading up to this fly. ;) Over a Century ago tyers had a lot of tricks before the vise became common. I am fortunate enough have watched Master tyer Harry Lemire( and others) and pick up a few tricks. You can reposition your vise hand from the shank to temporarily hold materials to free your tying hand. Weighted hackle pliers can be added as needed to keep materials or thread in place. See the modern in-hand Master and his amazing full dress flies at http://www.feathersmc.com/friends/show/93
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:44 am

Roadkill, Howdy;

Think you might want to check the link you posted in your last reply here... I trird it twice and IE shut-down on me both times...
just sayin'...
hank

PS. Great lookin fly!
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:58 am

hankaye

Sorry but it works for me on my computer. :?: Just google Harry Lemire, the page I linked on feathersmc is only one of many about Harry.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:03 pm

i saw some video of Harry Lemire tying a Salmon fly without a vise...............the guy is incredable. Isn't he from somewhere in the PNW?