Ray's Fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Ray's Fly

Post by willowhead » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:27 am

Might take a few days for a pic to appear.....but Ray's fly is finished, all cept for another coat (3rd), of head cement, and Ray.....i'm only using the Hard Headed for all thre coats on this fly.....cause you KArazy enough to go fishin' with it one day. :lol: But remember, if i fall over dead tomorrow.....you can put it on ebay and be able to pay for a semester of college for your kid when the time comes.......... :D :roll: :P
Hook: just a pretty non-descript 7/0 blind eye.....gotta save my best hooks for flies i can try and sell.....sorry bout that.....but we need the money ;)
Thread: Danville 6/0 Primrose
Tag: Kreinik Copper Braid, fairly large diameter
Tail: one GP breast feather, red.....vailed with Hot Orange marabou
Pre-Butt: :lol: Larva Lace Dubbing Sparkle (look for this to change if i can find the package and the correct terrminology :roll: ) stuff Red/Chartruse
Butt: a light Brown wooden bead.....with a nice medium Brown design on it.....bout all i can say..... :D
Rib: same braid as the tag
Body: Shrimp Pink, SLF Saltwater dubbing, extremely picked out
Wing: some long silky Hot Orange synthetic winging materials over some krinkly Hot Orange Poly stuff, made for winging over Hot Orange Marabou
Collar: one Hot Pink spotted Guinea feather under (behind), one Fushia dyed Grizzly saddle hackle
Head: dyed orange
Eye: dyed Orange

PICTURE it in your mind...... :P
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Ray's Fly

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:28 pm

I am having trouble visualizing the fly. I think my minds-eye can only imagine flies up to a size 2. A size 7/0 hook is out of my relm of experience. Needless to say, I am still excited to the fly when it is finished. Very cool honor! Thanks Mark.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:45 pm

;) .....i'm hittin' the hay now.....been up bout 26 hours.....just got a brand new 2011 fully loaded Chevy Traverse.....long story.....fill you in later. easy............ 8-)

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Ray, you fly is ready for photographing.........how i'll mail it is another story. It's to big to put inside these denture shipping containers i have.....so i gotta figure out somethin' else. Not to worry, i will.

Btw, the new Cross-Over is replacing the brand new (our 6th) Avalanche we just got bout two months ago. i did $3,363 worth of damage to it when i fell asleep at the wheel and hit a semi-truck on the way back here from N.Y. bout two weeks and two days ago. :o :shock: :oops: :D So, after 6 different Avalanches.....we decided it was time to stop throwin' away all that unessessary money (on lousey gas mileage with the V-8) and down size just a bit to a 6 cylinder engine. Still has a ton of storage space, big 20 inch weels/tires/6 lugs.....XM, Bose, Nav., heated and cooled seats, AWD, dual exhaust, and all the rest of the bells and whistels.....just won't use as much gas. Plus i already had almost 13K miles on the Avalanche.....now we get that back.....so-to-speak. ;) It had 5k on it when we got it.....dealership owners demo.....i put 8K on it in less than two months. New OnStar number.....870-321-6056
Last edited by willowhead on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Yikes! Glad it was just your vehicle that got totaled. That could have been MUCH worse, for you and the other driver. Not good at all.

Looking forward to seeing the piece of art, Mark. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:09 pm

The Avalanche was not totalled in any way shape or form.....not by any stretch. The semi-truck just kept goin'.....most likely never even knew it happened.....and undoubtedly never felt it. Wasn't that much damage to the Avalanche.....just a quarter panel and a door and mirror.....no biggie at all. That Avalanche will be back on the lot in a week.....they already have the part delievered. We were gonna swap it for another one.....but then decided to downsize a bit. This particular dealership has a world class body and glass department.....that puppy will look even better than it did, when they get finished with it. They do AMAZING work. We could of fixed it and saved some money.....but in the long run we'll save more in gas over 5 years with the new Traverse. We do bout 40K a year or more.....definately more if you add what we do in the other truck.....our old Suburban. i'm likin' the Traverse too....the back-up camera is better than it ever was in the Avalanches, and the mirrowrs have blind-spot assistance.....it's a great cross-over.....AWD is also way cool. Amazingly it has quite a bit of room even behind the third row of seats. Not as much as a Suburban would......but that would be $10K more and lousey gas milage, just to pick up a few more cubic feet. Aint wourff it. ;)

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Ray's here's the first pic of your fly.....if there's a better one.....i'll post it. My live in photographer (Misako-chan), is still in the process of sending pics to my email. ;) Kinna looks like she somewhat mangled the collar in the handling of it..... :D ..... :lol:
Attachments
PC010013[1].JPG
PC010013[1].JPG (53.57 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
Last edited by willowhead on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Ha Ha Ray, looks like a good steelhead fly ;)

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:52 pm

willowhead, Howdy,

Old joke from when the Army was segregated (that was into the early 1960's), goes like this;

Older colored woman walks up to the main gate at the local Army base.
Asks the sentry if see can see her son the Major.
Sentry says that there are no colored Officers.
She says "My son said he was a Major and he was in charge of a Company."
Sentry says " Mame all we got here is White Officers with Colored privates."
She digests that information and says..." Lawdy lawdy ain't that gaudy..." :lol: :lol:

Something about that fly fits in that statement...pretty, good lookin', 1 inna million fly, boy howdy
you do make artistic flys an they be pretty.
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:07 am

Thankx hank.....i guess you heard bout the lady who went to a baseball game for the first time knowin' nothin' bout the game.....so when Willy Mays starts a slow jog to first after bein' walked.....she starts yellin' "Run Willy, Run." .....the guy sittin' next to her says, "Mam, he doesn't have to run, he got four balls.......
then she starts yellin' "Walk Proud Willy, Walk Proud." :D