Red Palmer T.E. Pritt

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Niklas Dahlin

Red Palmer T.E. Pritt

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:57 am

Hi Gents..
Please help.. Found this cool fly in North Country Flies, just had to try it out. As there are no instructions on how to tie it I wonder.. Is there anyone out there knowing if this is similar to what it supposed to look like :D

Later
Niklas
hankaye

Re: Red Palmer T.E. Pritt

Post by hankaye » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Niklas Dahlin, Howdy;

I have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to look like... BUT I LIKE WHAT YOU POSTED!!!
Do you have a recipe for this fly?

just askin'

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Nice fly, Nik. Almost looks a bit like a Griffiths Gnat. Well tied!

Mike, Thanks for the usual great references. I had downloaded most of the relevant literature from Archive.org but as usual, life gets in the way of fly tying and fishing and I had completely forgotten about the collection. Thanks for the reminder. It's time to drop some of those on an Ipad and start reading again.

Cheers,
Bruce C
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Looks like a Griffth's Knat.....which as you know, is sposed to imitate a Midge "Cluster". Although a G.K. is not usually palmered with such long fibered hackle. Course your fly could always be trimmed short if so desired, but i spose that's not the point of that dressing. You did a nice job. :)
:lol: Now i see you beat me to it Bruce.....i had this ready to hit "Submit" but got distracted, and never did it til hours after i wrote it.........we have house guest from Texas. Former president (Jack Janco), of the Red River Fly Fishers (in Texas), and his wife have been here for 5 days. Jacks has been teaching at a Retreat for FFF Afiliated Clubs in the Southern Council on how to be a good president of a club or council. Interesting subject and he's really good at running a seminar. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:44 am

hankaye wrote:Niklas Dahlin, Howdy;

I have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to look like... BUT I LIKE WHAT YOU POSTED!!!
Do you have a recipe for this fly?

just askin'

hank
Hi Hank..
Thank´´s Peacock herl and cockhackle... not more than that...

Later
Niklas
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:33 am

Roger Fogg's excellent "Wet-Fly Tying and Fishing" book has an S.B.S. tutorial on tying the Red Palmer (which he says was also frequently called a Soldier Palmer).
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"