Olives

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

steelertrout1949

Olives

Post by steelertrout1949 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:54 am

March and my thoughts have turned to olives. Any one have a particular soft hackle or flymph they tie for the spring olives?
I have used Dave Hughes little olive flymph with some sucsess.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Olives

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:10 pm

Little Olive Flymph-my version-14,16,18

Hook: Standard wet-fly, 14-18

Thread: Olive or gray

Ribbing & Tag: fine copper wire

Abdomen: Olive rabbit dubbed Leisenring style

Hackle: Gray Brahma Hen wound through the thorax. (Note: The hackle used had blue dun tips with a dark dun list, and was from Whiting.)

Thorax: Dark gray colored rabbit dubbed Leisenring style

Also like Greenwells flymph I tie

Greenwell’s Flymph

Hook: Standard wet-fly, 12-16

Thread: Black or olive

Ribbing & Tag: Flat gold tinsel

Body: Olive yellow rabbit dubbed Leisenring style

Hackle: Greenwell’s hen, wrapped through the thorax

Thorax: Dark black-brown rabbit dubbed Leisenring style

I ralso use and like Hans' Partridge & Olive Emerger tied in about size 14 or smaller as needed. For the smaller sizes, If I can not fine partridge hackle small enough, I use gray hen hackle. All these patterns work very well for the olives.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:16 pm

This is what I tie for small olives. As you can see, I tie several variations- they all seem to work equally as well. Pardon the mess, they have been fished. This brings up a drawback to peacock quill bodies- they are not all that durable, but they look so good I can't stop tying them! :) Perhaps a fine rib would help, hmmmm... I haven't tried it yet.
Wee Olive
Hook-Partridge TWH #18 (or Captain Hamilton L3A's if you are lucky enough to have some)
Thread-Olive Pearsall's
Body-Peacock Quill dyed light olive and stripped
Thorax-steel blue-gray mole fur
Hackle- Left fly- Chinese partridge, unspeckled Right fly- French partridge neck

I'm not sure these are a great imitation, but I always have luck with them when olive's are about.
Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Mark, I find the chinese skins, because the birds are smaller, seem to have hackles #16 and smaller. I'm sure you've thought of that, but the one on the left above is tied with chinese partridge.
Pat M

Post by Pat M » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Patterns are pretty simple but keep in mind that depending on where you live the colorization will differ. Out
here in Utah I've seen Olives that have been brown, brown/greenish, even a light blue/gray. I usually try to
get a sample and take it home and try to create a pattern based on the waters I fish. So far its been playing out
in my favor. However looking at Mark's pics those would work fine here also. I guess I go a little further to
dial them in.

Pat~
Swing Step Swing
55dougie

Post by 55dougie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:51 pm

Liam, I tie my BWO softies with peacock quill too..... I put a touch of super glue on the thread base before winding the peacock forward , this GREATLY improves the life of the fly... ;) .. Doug.
Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:11 pm

55dougie wrote:Liam, I tie my BWO softies with peacock quill too..... I put a touch of super glue on the thread base before winding the peacock forward , this GREATLY improves the life of the fly... ;) .. Doug.
That's the kind of thing that someone tells you and you feel kinda stupid for not having thought of it yet! :D Thanks. I new I didn't want to varnish over the body...
55dougie

Post by 55dougie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:52 pm

That's the kind of thing that someone tells you and you feel kinda stupid for not having thought of it yet! :D Thanks. I new I didn't want to varnish over the body...

Liam, you're welcome..... PS. I forgot to mention how nicely you tied those flies. I really like that Chinese partridge... Dougie.
Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks for the compliment. The heads are shameful. It's funny how when I tie my flies for fishing little things like that don't bother me- then the camera comes and you can see every little mistake! :o
carterastraton

Post by carterastraton » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 pm

the pics look great...... just where are the mistakes? i don't see any