Olives

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Liam

Re: Olives

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Thank you. The heads are a bit irregular as I probably tied them quickly without presentation purposes in mind! ;)
steelertrout1949

Post by steelertrout1949 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks to all for their responses.
Liam,

I really like your Wee olive. Are those dyed olive quills available commercially or will they be a do it yourself project for me.
Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:20 pm

They come from Natures Spirit I got them at Great Feathers here in Maryland. If you aren't near by here's the site sitehttp://greatfeathers.com/

Thanks for the compliment. I think you'll find them easy and fun to tie.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 am

I was unaware that Nature's Spirit packaged dyed peacock quills, so I've been stripping herls taken from their dyed eye sticks (which I got at Great Feathers). The No. 20 Caddis Green color makes nice olive bodies. I also discovered that leaving a little fuzz on the quills when I strip them (using a rubber eraser) gives a cool halo effect not unlike the touch dubbing of fine fur on patterns like bloas.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
idryfly

Post by idryfly » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:03 am

tie2fish wrote:I was unaware that Nature's Spirit packaged dyed peacock quills, so I've been stripping herls taken from their dyed eye sticks (which I got at Great Feathers). The No. 20 Caddis Green color makes nice olive bodies. I also discovered that leaving a little fuzz on the quills when I strip them (using a rubber eraser) gives a cool halo effect not unlike the touch dubbing of fine fur on patterns like bloas.
They don't Bill. Liam mentions stripping the quill in his recipe.
Cheers,
Mike
Regards,
Mike