A friend's early attempts

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Liam

A friend's early attempts

Post by Liam » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:59 pm

My friend Mike has been tying for about 3 months and is shy about posting his flies. The other night we were tying for a swap and he produced this fly. It is Leisenring's Iron blue wingless (minus the tail). I think it is an exceptional tie and needed to be shared with folks who might appreciate it! The hackle is the most beautiful ginger-tipped hen I have ever seen! :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: A friend's early attempts

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Tell your friend Mike, that he needs to post his work more often. This is a beautiful fly. I hope he tyed up a number of these for his box. They will work great!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:19 pm

A great start for someone tying three months. He'll be even more hooked on these flies once he catches some trout on his own flies.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
idryfly

Post by idryfly » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Liam's friend Mike is my Son In Law. We're quite proud of him!! :) However...he's in trouble for using that Collin's neck without asking! ;)
Regards,
Mike
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:31 pm

LOL...oops!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
olber

Post by olber » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:40 pm

There's absolutely no reason for him to be shy about his tying.
A lovely fly, that's what it is:)

Cheers-Olav
mgl130

Post by mgl130 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Thank you for your kind comments.

I'm still working on my tying skills but I was very pleased with this particular fly.

Unfortunately, now that this has been posted I not only can't use the Law Vise but I can't use the vast stock of IDryFly's Collins necks (Thanks Liam :evil: ). I suppose I will have to settle for whiting but for a begginer it is alot easier to avoid twisting a stem using better hackles.

Cheers,

Mike
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:08 am

Mike, If you're considering Whiting to be a "lesser" hackle, you'll get no pity from me. :D Some of us started tying with feathers that wind up in the trash from most benches today

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
mgl130

Post by mgl130 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Please don't get me wrong I am not looking for pity. :!: I understand that I am one of the most fortunate beginner fly tiers to have ever existed (no exaggeration). I have access to one of the largest materials collection in the world. Idryfly has more tying materials then 99% of fly shops and alot of what he has can't be found anymore. Liam and flymph can attest to this fact.

So when I complain and sound like a spoiled brat it is because I have been spoiled and forget how fortunate I am. I have a brand new Dyna-King vise but I can sometimes use the Lawrence Waldron vise (by far the best vise ever designed). I can look up any obscure recipe in any book (usually a first addition) and find all of the materials I need to tie the fly. Just having the materials is awesome but having people like Idryfly, Liam and flymph around to give me constant constructive criticism and insight in my techniques and flies is worth more then any chicken or game bird.

But I will stick by my statement about Whiting. :D
PMCCARDELL

Post by PMCCARDELL » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:51 pm

MIKE K. DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER DAUGHTERS? :) THAT IS A NICE LOOKING FLY MIKE L.
PHIL