Pat M

Micro Midge

Post by Pat M » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:39 pm

Receipe...

Hook---------Size 20 scud heavy hook
Thread-------10/0
Rib-----------White 8/0 thread twisted in a dubbing loop and wrapped foward
Thorax-------Bronze Peacock Herl
Hackle-------Grizzly Hen Tip wrapped 1 1/2 turns.

Out west here our midges are really small. Purely an experimental pattern but I'm hoping
for some good results.

Pat
Swing Step Swing
willowhead

Re: Micro Midge

Post by willowhead » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:16 am

That'll work Pat.....funny thing bout livin' down here in the sticks.....we got the most prolific (it's called weekly stockings :D ) river in the lower 48..........10K Trout per river mile...........swimmin' through your legs in places.........Bows, Browns, Brookies, Cutts and Cuttbows..........it's REDICKALUS!!! But all you need to catch them 365 is a Zebra Midge, a Wolly Bugger and a Scud (Sowbug).....which really makes the fishing quite boring if numbers is your only game....................course i would hope that you've evolved as an angler WAYYYYY beyond the numbers game................if your fortunate, you have.
Point being, the only real way to have serious big fun as a fly fisher, for me anyway.....it to try and get the fish to come up on top no matter what they may or may not wanna do..........so i use attractor patterns a lot.....strange emerger type flies.....wacky stuff............of course, like i was saying, you NEED to have evolved to a point where all days on the water are of equal value to you, no matter what your catch rate is, in order to get the most out of the experience. One must embrace the getting skunked concept at times. :D And come to terms with the very real fact that size and numbers are NOT what it's all about. Most anglers never fully accomplish that task. It's a shame.....because fly fishing is NOT about, size and numbers.
i know some anglers down here that will change their fly every half to a dozen fish, just for the fun of it, and that's kinna cool. Keeps you involved beyond just "next"....."next"......."next".....but i tell you, trying to bring a fish up with something "Different" is REALLY fun, especially in a river where on any given cast, you don't know if your next fish is gonna be a 9 inch Bow just put in that morning, or an 11 inch Brookie, or a 20 inch Cutt, or a three foot long Brown that's been in the river for 8 years. :o :shock: It's pretty amazing. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com