Goldenplover and Yellow

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

CreationBear

Re: Goldenplover and Yellow

Post by CreationBear » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:03 am

Ha...I've got to learn to limit my viewing of Cookshillls' site to only during the harsh light of day as well. :)

Some questions about plover, though: (1.) what range of hackle sizes are on the average skin; (2.)what could you compare the fiber stiffness to (I'm thinking it's a bit like starling); and (3.) are the primary feathers marked like the typical "soft hackle" feathers, or are they one color? (As a native Southerner, I'm always looking for a yellow-flicker sub for my Yallerhammers. :) )
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 am

1. Hackle sizes down to #20 on the skin I have.
2. It's stronger than starling, but still very flexible.
3. The primaries are not yellow -- similar to mallard.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:29 am

tie2fish-- Thanks for elaborating...I'm curious, though, if you find enough feathers to wrap size 12 or larger flies, or are most in the 16-14ish range?
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 pm

CreationBear wrote:Ha...I've got to learn to limit my viewing of Cookshillls' site to only during the harsh light of day as well. :)

Some questions about plover, though: (1.) what range of hackle sizes are on the average skin; (2.)what could you compare the fiber stiffness to (I'm thinking it's a bit like starling); and (3.) are the primary feathers marked like the typical "soft hackle" feathers, or are they one color? (As a native Southerner, I'm always looking for a yellow-flicker sub for my Yallerhammers. :) )
Here are two pictures of the skin I have.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

C-Bear ~
A majority of the soft hackle patterns I tie are in the 14-16 size range, so I haven't really been looking for 12's or bigger. I'd say, however, that there are plenty of them from just looking at the skin. One of the many things I like about plover is the consistency of the markings across the whole of the skin; you don't run out of the beautiful color pattern (see Ruard's excellent photos) as you move from one size to another.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Ruard, tie2fish-- thanks for the pictures and extra info, that really helps a newbie like myself. :) A plover skin definitely in my future, though I I'll have to avoid the recent mistake I made of leaving out a hen pheasant pelt where my wife could find it--she couldn't believe I would consider tying flies with something so beautiful...
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Howdy Ruard,

That fly looks tasty. Almost like a fresh hot biscut (American style), right from the oven an I'm lookin' for the molasses.

Greetings,
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:34 am

what lovely looking feathers. alas we cannot get them here. But swings and roundabouts I guess :lol:
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:35 am

CreationBear wrote:tie2fish-- Thanks for elaborating...I'm curious, though, if you find enough feathers to wrap size 12 or larger flies, or are most in the 16-14ish range?
If you want larger feathers, consider a sharptail grouse. Not an exact match to golden plover to be sure, but you do get gray/yellow banding (and they are a LOT cheaper - just checked eBay, and they're $7 per skin). Plus, the feathers are certainly larger.

You must realize that it would be sacrilege to tie a hare's lug and sharptail. You must tie a jackrabbit and sharptail instead. :lol:
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:11 am

Great suggestion on the sharptail grouse. I love that all these older threads are coming back up. I know there are a lot of folks that are seeing these for the first time. That Goldenplover and Yellow is spot on. Very well done.

Mark, this boards seems to be on fire lately.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com