Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Ausable Spider

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 am

Ausable Spider

Hook: Mustad R48
Thread: Florescent Red
Hackles: One brown, one grizzly. Brown wrapped first, one turn. Grizzly wrapped in front, one turn.
Ribbing: Fine gold wire
Body: Cinnamon bear dubbed Leisenring style on florescent red thread.

From Fran Betters' Ausable Wulff.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
willowhead

Re: Ausable Spider

Post by willowhead » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Very nice Mark.....Misako and i got to spend a great 10 days with Fran once. We were attending the 1993 FFF Northeast Council Conclave (last year they ever had it ,i think it was), in Lake Placid, N.Y. and staying at Fran's famous "Bunkhouse" flop. BOY that place was a classic.....not exactly cut out for wives.....most wives anyway..... :lol: We got married in '85 but never bought our first truck (living in Manhattan) until '94.....so we had a rented car. i used my employeers truck most of the time. i remember i was in the living room of the Bunkhouse when i saw on t.v., the cops chasing O.J. in the white Ford Bronco, (shoulda bought a Chevy, lmao)..... :roll:
We spent a lot of time with Fran during that stay. Were over at his fly shop every day, taking casting lessons, tying lessons, his orientation tour of the Ausable, buying all kinna materials, etc. and watchng him tye all day. Fished 9 days ( 7 on the ausable and 2 on the Saranac), and i got skunked one day. Best day for me was 20 Trout at Monument Pool. Second best was 10 Trout right below the falls across the street from the Bunkhouse, and 10 again on the Saranac River one day. Misa never got skunked at all. :D And she KILLEd under the falls one day when nobody else was catchin' fish cept for the 2 i got that day. It was a great time. Only saw him a couple times after that, at the Somerset shows. What a classic he was. ;) Sell you his mother-in-law OR his mother, if you had the money......enough to meet his price. :o :oops: :shock: :P
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com