Quill Spiders...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Joe Billingsley

Re: Quill Spiders...

Post by Joe Billingsley » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 am

Hi, VERN-O
If I'm not touch dubbing the quill and just using it alone for the body, I will use Hard as Nails to lightly coat the body. I don't think the quill really needs it for durability because I think it is fine on its own, but it does make it a little shinier and waxier looking and tends to make a bigger distinction between the dark and light parts.

Joe
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:48 pm

All delicious looking flies.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Joe Billingsley

Post by Joe Billingsley » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:45 am

Niklas,
What was your technique when you put the peacock behind and in front of the hackle? I mean, did you wrap the first part of the peacock, cut it off, tie in the hackle, wrap it, and then tie in more peacock? Or did you leave the peacock attached and just continue to wrap it after applying the hackle?
Thanks,
Joe
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:01 am

VERN-O wrote:these are very nice like....I like the peacock in front and behind the hackle.

Do you guys coat the herl bodies with anything after tying?....like Sally Hansen or super glue?
Thank´s I have two layers of clear superglue. To get it good looking, just use a small amount and let it dry properly between the layers..

Later
Nik
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:05 am

DOUGSDEN wrote:NIK,
DROP DEAD GORGEOUS! NOTHING SAYS BUGGY LOOKING LIKE QUILL AND PEACOCK AND IN COMBINATION....WOW! YOU DO EXCELLENT WORK AND THE PHOTOGRAPHY IS GREAT! THE COLORS ON THE QUILLS IS WONDERFUL. I HAVE TROUBLE SOMETIMES PICKING OUT THE RIGHT COLORS. YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB WITH THIS. WHEN DO THE CLASSES IN QUILL START?
DOUGSDEN
Thanks for the feedback mate... Classes :D , well I will tie these at the British flyfair in the beggining of november..

Later
Nik
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 am

Joe Billingsley wrote:Niklas,
What was your technique when you put the peacock behind and in front of the hackle? I mean, did you wrap the first part of the peacock, cut it off, tie in the hackle, wrap it, and then tie in more peacock? Or did you leave the peacock attached and just continue to wrap it after applying the hackle?
Thanks,
Joe
I tie the peacock in wrap like 2-3 turns, depending on the peacock.. I don´t cut it, leave it hanging over the eye of the hook, 1,5 wraps of the partridge feather, secure that and the 2-3 wraps of peacock again.
I hope it helps..

Later
Nik
t.z.

Post by t.z. » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:16 am

:o :o :o :o :o :o ..... lost for words
Niklas Dahlin

Post by Niklas Dahlin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:32 pm

t.z. wrote::o :o :o :o :o :o ..... lost for words
You... lost for words.. hrm That´s not the T.Z I know :lol: Thank´s mate, glad to see you..

Later
Nik
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:37 am

Makes you wonder eh. What would have the North Country Spides looked like if our forefathers could have got some peacock? Great patterns and I can vouch for the effectiveness of them in patterns.
Davyfly

Post by Davyfly » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Nice,
There is a lot to be said for quill bodied flies, am am also a lover of feather herl bodied flies, particularly for mayfly imitations, emerges, duns and spinners.

There is a famous Welsh fly by the name of the Usk Nailer, which was at one time my local river, this fly and its variations is a killer at times.

DW
www.davywotton.com
Outfitter/guide services/FF DVDs/Custom/ flies